Transmission Is Out - What Next?

Old 09-20-13, 09:50 AM
Transmission Is Out - What Next?

should i go to a salvage/junk yard and get a transmission?

i haven't done auto repairs before and see there is a transmission kit, i wonder would it be difficult to install on your own

i been receiving quotes at shop at 1400 and more for a nissan xterra and in favor of one guy who says he can tow and inspect by transmission for free and beat any competitors price and he has fixes/warranty depending if i needed to resell it, repair it, or put in new transmission so i don't know, how does one just fix it to resell it..a bit shady?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-13, 10:25 AM
If you have no expierience with car repairs a trans is not the place to start out. You have five choices. New trans,rebuilt trans,have yours rebuilt,used trans,try it yourself. With a used trans you might get a good one and you could get one like yours was yesterday,ready to go out. Yes some yards give a replacement guaranty {sp) but you have the labor cost twice. My choice would be ask around,find a reputable shop, and let them handle it. Stay away from people who want to do shady things,they could do them to you.

Old 09-20-13, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
And among other things, a good independent tranny shop will be able to tell you whether a used tranny is a good idea or not based on the likelihood the recycled tranny will have a short life span or not. Some makes/models are much better candidates for a used tranny swap than others.

The $64,000 question - what year is the Xterra and how many miles on it? Also what is the condition of the rest of the vehicle overall, especially the engine?