2001 Chevy Malibu (Sons car) wont fully turn....

Old 09-21-13, 08:51 PM
2001 Chevy Malibu (Sons car) wont fully turn....

Ok. here's the Problem....
Son came home from work, parked that car in the garage. Woke up the next morning, care would Idle then stall.
No Dome lights, Power Doors not working. No sound from radio. Dummy lights are lit, Service engine soon and anti theft light is fully lit (theft light isn't blinking). Faint smell of electrical burn (maybe), im thinking its a Bad relay that went out or Connectors to the Fuel pump that shorted.
Any advice would help, Only 99k on the car.
Thanks!
Pissed dad!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-13, 08:56 PM
Oh yeah...it has Gas, Brand NEW Battery and not only the Lights, doors & radio isn't working...but the Gas hand also. The Gas hand is on E with the indicator light on, but he Filled up the Tank the Previous day.

Old 09-22-13, 02:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Without running diagnostics on the car, my first impression would be the computer module has gone south. Too much electrical stuff gone wrong to be a single relay.

Old 09-22-13, 07:34 AM
Why does the car have a Brand NEW battery? Was the battery installed to try to correct this problem or did the problem arise after installing the battery?

Old 09-22-13, 08:54 AM
2001 Chevy Malibu....

My son just got a new Battery put in less than 6 months ago, the Battery itself is fine, that's not the Problem .
Dome lights, Gas hand, Radio none responsive. Car starts, run for 5 seconds then stops.
Its giving me a headache, going to buy a scanner to put on it.

Old 09-22-13, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Dome light could also share the circuit with radio memory power. You'd need to look for a 20A (yellow) courtesy fuse.

Car runs for 5 seconds and stops sounds like a fuel delivery problem. It can also be that the security system has shut down the fuel since you said the security light is on.

The gas gauge not reading concerns me. I'd say check the other gauges but if the vehicle doesn't run the other ones won't register anything either.

All the problems could be related.
Could just be an "always live" fuse blown. Check all the fuses....especially the ones under the hood.

Old 09-22-13, 11:58 AM
2001 Chevy Malibu Pains....

Ok, just wenty outside and tried to start the car. As soon that ive turned the inition key, Rpm..Mph...Gas & Temp gauge flew all the way up, WTF?!?!?
Car started then stopped.Going to just take it to the Shop...HEADACHES!!!!1

Old 09-22-13, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Just a question.......

I thought it could be a GM anti theft issue as that system shuts down the fuel system. I was just reading the info on 2001's and the anti theft system was used only a few vehicles. You mentioned the theft light was flashing.....that usually means it's active.

Still....check all the keys...are they regular keys or do they have two silver contacts on the sides ? Yours may be a passkey. Early system. It depends on the options package.

Name:  k.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  22.9 KB

Old 10-02-13, 07:01 PM
Those vehicles have issues with the ignition switch . In particular the antitheft system.

Old 10-25-13, 01:44 AM
replacing motor

need to know which wires need to go where.most is done got a few left with no home...first time replacing a motor so i`m not familiar with it.

Old 10-25-13, 02:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! are you changing a "motor", like windshield wiper motor, or an "engine", as in a car engine? We would need a ton more of information before we could guess at what you are doing, including pictures.