Ignition Control Modules & how to test them

Old 09-25-13, 09:25 PM
Ignition Control Modules & how to test them

I'd appreciate if anyone here could please direct me to information regarding one of two things:

- I would like to obtain detailed data sheets/documentation for the Ignition Module used in a 1995 Toyota Celica ST, 1.8L 7A-FE, standard shift (also other year Corolla, Celica, Geo Prizms, etc).

- In general, is it possible for a "shade-tree mechanic" with ordinary equipment to test an "Ignition Control Module" (aka ignitor) and if so, how?

I've been generally unable to locate any information about how to test an ignitor; only replace them. Some say "The ignition module can only be tested using specialized test equipment."

The only thing I found that came close was a video demonstration using a probe or test light to test the igniter output at the coil's (primary) input. When cranking, I expected to find, either..
..the test light flashing on & off if the igniter were good
..if the igniter were bad, no light at all.

Instead, I had a steady dim glow that got bright a split second before cranking stopped. Not one thing or the other, I don't know how to interpret this.

Any leads, input, suggestions are all appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 04:29 PM
The boy has a toyota truck that died,,no spark, I got info on ohmeter reading fot it on another site ???? Of course I dont remember what it was .But at that time I was informed you couldn't buy the module seperately you had to buy a dist. we ended up with a rebuilt. Things might be different as this was a few years ago.