Blowing headlight bulbs.......

Old 09-30-13, 10:25 AM
Blowing headlight bulbs.......

I have a 1996 Honda Accord V-6 that I recently had an alternator installed in. I don't know if this is related but since then I have blown all the headlight bulbs, high and low beam. Could the new alternator be the problem or should I look elsewhere for a short????

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-13, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could do a voltage check to be sure that the alternator is not producing voltage beyond normal and that the regulator is functioning properly. A short circuit is not the answer. How long since you last replaced the headlights? They may have simply burned out from "old age".

Old 09-30-13, 11:34 AM
The first set of bulbs that blew were original equipment but the second set were only in about a week

Old 09-30-13, 01:13 PM
This happening right after alt replacement sure looks like an over charge problem. Go buy a multimeter you can get one for under 10 bucks. With the motor running about where it would be at 30 mph check voltage at batt. If its over the 14.5 range you got a problem with alt/reg. Most vehicles today have the reg built in the alt, not sure on yours.

Old 09-30-13, 01:34 PM
Thanks.....I'll let you know how I make out!

Old 10-03-13, 12:07 PM
The alternator checked out fine. Do you have any other suggestions, like maybe a headlight switch problem????

Old 10-03-13, 01:36 PM
What Retired Wrench said "If its over the 14.5 range you got a problem with alt/reg."

Overvoltage will burn out the lamps. If the alternator is good then I would suspect the battery.

How old is the battery? Why did you replace the alternator in the first place? Who checked the new alternator and said it was 'fine"?

A wire may have got broken when installing the alternator that is needed for voltage regulation ....

Light bulbs are burned out by excessive voltage.

Good luck.

Old 10-03-13, 02:17 PM
I really don't know why the alternator was replaced other than the car wouldn't run. The battery was replaced at the same time the original bulbs were replaced. The alternator was checked by the retail dealer it was purchased from.

Old 10-03-13, 03:15 PM
Had an alt on my own car that would only act up while driving. You could test it all you wanted sitting or off the car and it was perfect. Replaced it and all was well.

Search this Thread