door switch

Old 09-30-13, 08:44 PM
door switch

On my four-door 92 Honda Accord the dome light stopped coming on when the left rear door was opened. Suspecting a bad switch on the door jamb, I removed the switch to examine it and clean the contacts to see if that might help. It's just one wire going to the switch with a female end connection to which the male spade connector of the switch is pushed into. So I disconnected the switch from the wire to examine and clean it, and when I installed it back into the door the dome light then came on (as it should while the door is open). However, when I shut the door, the light remained on. I have the dome light switch itself set to the position that it should only turn on when any of the doors are opened. So I pushed the switch several times, thinking maybe if it were sticking to complete the circuit I might be able to un-stick it and make the dome light go out, but the dome light remained lit. So I removed the door switch again (disconnected it from the wire), thinking for sure that should prevent the dome light from staying on until such time as I could acquire/install a new switch. But, now, even with the switch completely removed, the dome light stays on even with all doors shut. Until I can find/fix the fault, I just switched the dome light to the "off" position where it will not come on at all (unless I move it to "on").
So I guess/suppose the wire to the door switch is grounding out on the chassis somewhere, and I'll have to find out where. But what is baffling me is that before I messed with the switch, I wasn't having this problem with the dome light staying on. In fact quite the opposite, where the dome light would not come on (when that door was open).
Any comments/suggestions to help me troubleshoot will be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-13, 07:27 PM
Update: I seem to have discovered the problem. The second to the last door switch has rather a rather worn contact spring doo-hicky inside that prevents it from opening the circuit each and every time the door is shut. After fiddling with it a little I got it working okay most of the time, and plan on getting a new switch, or two maybe.

Old 10-01-13, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
Strange problem. If you remove the switch the light should not work. You said you had the switch out and the light stayed on.

Old 10-02-13, 08:51 AM
I neglected to mention that at first the dome light wasn't coming on when any of the four doors were opened. I removed, cleaned, and then reinstalled each switch separately. By cleaned I mean scraped away any obvious dirt/corrosion and shot them with a little WD40 and worked them back and forth. I took out a switch, cleaned then reinstalled it, operated the switch manually with the door still open to see if the light would turn on and back off, then when I could see it was working would move on to the next switch. After I reinstalled the fourth door switch I discovered the dome light was remaining on even if I pushed that switch, or as I described even when I removed that switch. My first assumption was perhaps the wire to that switch was touching metal somewhere, grounding the circuit.
I decided to remove each switch to see if the light would go out. When I removed the second to last switch (at one of the back doors), the light did indeed go out. I hooked up that switch again and worked it back and forth, and noticed it would not always shut the light off with every push. I took it apart again and could see a little spring contact mechanism wasn't fully moving as it should. I worked it back and forth quite a bit and seemed to get it loosened up and working better, shutting off the light pretty much each and every time I pushed it. After I reinstalled that switch and the last switch, the light will go on/off when any of the doors are open/shut.
I probably shouldn't have used the WD40 to clean the switches. I read that worked for some people. But then I read some people say that'll just eventually gum up the switches. Probably should've used electric contact cleaner stuff. Too late now.