2003 Ford Escape Coolant

Old 10-06-13, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
2003 Ford Escape Coolant

Need to replace the coolant in the 2003 Ford escape, V6. It has the yellow Motorcraft Premium Gold in it. Ford says not to use any other brand. The Prestone Extended says for all makes, all models, any color. Who should I believe, Ford or Prestone.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-13, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't mix them.The company usually knows what is best for their products. I got turned off prestone years ago when half a cup leaking into an engine would lock it up.

Old 10-06-13, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I flused the crap out of it and used Prestone. I will let you know how it works in about 5 years.

Old 10-07-13, 06:42 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW, all the auto makers will tell you to only use their fluids.

Old 10-07-13, 11:10 AM
Thats because they dont know what kind of cheap s..... people might put in there. I know you have seen people buy an expensive vehicle and go cheap on everything they put on or in it. Which brings me to todays philosophy? lesson. Prosperity is spending money you dont have,to buy things you dont need,to impress people you dont like.

Old 10-07-13, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
True. But I'm not about to run to the Toyota dealer for genuine fluid the next time my wife's Camry needs the brake reservoir topped off.

Old 10-07-13, 02:22 PM
I use Zerex G-05 in my Ford, it's equivalent to the Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant and not cheap. I think Ford and Chrysler use the same stuff these days.

Old 10-07-13, 07:22 PM
I hear what you are saying Tow, but you know what you are doing. I had a guy come in that said his brakes would drag after a few miles. Turns out he had put DOT 1 in cause it was cheaper. Flushed it out and put in DOT 3 and all was well. When you hardley know how to get the hood open you cant make good decesions on what to put in things so you send them the safe route.

Old 10-09-13, 06:18 PM
If its still under warranty use ford. If not flush and prestone is fine. All manufaturers use a different color for warranty purposes. Gm is orange. dodge is red. Honda is blue. Volkswagon pink. They do this so if you add "green prestone" they wont cover your warranty.