Change oil filter one week after oil change??

Old 10-10-13, 02:27 AM
Red face Change oil filter one week after oil change??

Hello,

I recently changed the oil on my Nissan NXR, though once this was done, realised that even with the filter removal tool (and some tricky maneuvering) that I was just not going to be able to get in to the filter to remove it - if you've been under the hood of a Nissan NXR you'll see what I mean.

So my question: once I've removed the old filter, it fine to change it ONE WEEK after changing the oil? (and not while the oil is drained). The filter is elevated, so I can't imagine there will be much pressure built up to loose too much oil while it's off.

Thanks for your help!

Paperboat.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-13, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not familiar with your vehicle but you can pretty much change any filter at any time, it's just a matter of how much oil you loose/need to replace. The oil isn't under pressure while the engine is shut off but gravity will cause you to loose some oil.

There are oil filter sockets that you can use when the filter wrench doesn't fit or is too awkward to use.

Old 10-10-13, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
The downside to changing the filter after the oil change is that you will be mixing whatever dirt and oil that is in the filter with the new oil.

Old 10-10-13, 08:34 AM
if you didn't start the vehicle then there is no downside to changing the filter now, if onthe other hand you did start the vehicle then you have already mixed the old oil in your filter with the fresh oil in the engine. Still it is a good idea to go ahead and change the filter out. Oil filters can clog and bypass which is always bad.
I don't mind oil going long on changes but filters should be changed at regular intervals no matter what.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?