Small Holes On Car Body

Old 10-15-13, 08:29 AM
Question Small Holes On Car Body

Hello Everyone I have a 1991 plymouth acclaim in very good shape but I noticed a small hole almost the size of a half dollar and it is on a double panel
so I cannot reach in back of the hole, I bought some JBKWIK steel in tubes that you have to mix two tubes together and put right on,
I also have some fine screen material that you use for window screens

What is the best way to apply this, I was told to try to put the screening in the hole first and hold it there with something pointy and smear on the mixture

Is this how it is done or any idea's exactly how to do it? Also what to sand it down with first? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-13, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whenever I've made a repair like that and wasn't using a steel patch, I've used fiberglass [mat and resin] and then finished up with Bondo. IMO that method is cheaper/easier. To use what you have, I'd mix a little of the JB Weld to hold the screen in place and then come back [after it dries] and try to fill the void with more JB Weld.

Whatever material you use to patch the hole will need clean metal to adhere too. Sanding or a wire wheel should work ok.

Old 10-15-13, 09:35 AM
Small Holes On Car Body

Thank You for the reply and now how about the Sanding of loose rust around the hole what type of sand paper do I use (around the hole it is a little crumply)?
Also forgot to ask do I have to put the screening inside the hole first?

Old 10-15-13, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
With most things you start off with a coarser grit and work your way up to however fine a grit is required. The intial sanding can be coarse, you just want clean metal for your JB Weld [or fiberglass/bondo] to adhere to. It's best to cut out any metal that no longer has any strength left to it.

Ideally the screen would go behind the metal but often it's easier to knock the perimeter of the hole in a little and attach it there. If you don't recess the patch some, you'll wind up with a hump instead of a flush repair.

Old 10-15-13, 02:00 PM
Small Holes On Car Body

Marksr Thank You will try it!