2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Rough Idle After Fueling

Old 10-15-13, 07:32 PM
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Rough Idle After Fueling

Every time I fuel my Santa Fe (4WD 2.7L Auto Trans) it's very hard to start and to keep running for a couple of minutes, it will die if I don't keep the idle high.
This only happens when I get gas, no other time. I don't overfill the tank.
Any ideas as to what is causing this? Thanks

Last edited by buckeyered; 10-15-13 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-13, 07:56 PM
my guess is that its more of a short term heat soak issue. next time time your self getting fuel. and try to recreate it with out refueling. see if it does it. 75% sure this is a drive by wire, meaning no throttle cable attached to the petal or throttle plate. uses an electric motor to open the throttle, also acting as an idle control system. if it is dirty, the gunk will shrink faster than the metal(restricting air flow). normally the computer adjusts for this but all its temps will say the engine is still hot(expanded), but the gunk will be cold(shrunk). easy fix would be having your throttle body cleaned out. best bet is to have what is called an upper intake clean. this will do a bang up job of removing all the gunk even past the plates, even from on top of your valves.
most people ignore this issue or let there car sit long enough the rest of the engine cools enough to compensate. but then have big issues when they have their battery replaced at which all pre-learned gunk(air flow) is removed.

Old 10-16-13, 05:13 AM
Did you ever get your throttle changed/cleaned etc?
Would any engine warning light come on?

Old 10-16-13, 04:53 PM
I changed the purge control valve and cleaned the throttle body and that fixed the problem. I only got 12 MPG between Monday and today before changing the purge control valve, hopefully that was the cause of the poor gas mileage as well. Check engine light never came on.

Old 10-23-13, 04:29 AM
Interesting. I had this same issues with my '97 Accent. I needed a new vent valve, purge valve, and coal canister. Mechanic said it'll cost $300 to fix or he can jerry-rig something. I said screw it because it had 240,000 miles and the car was worth only $500. The car ran fine except after I full the gas tank up. LIke you said, rough idle, hard starts. Many older Hyundai's had this same problem with bad EVAP systems with cars with high mileage. It's purely an emissions control problem. It stinks!

Can you confirm that your "Check Engine" light is working? Right after you start your car, your dash should perform light tests.

Edit: When did you change the fuel filter? How's the gas cap looking?

Old 10-23-13, 06:56 PM
I can confirm the check engine light works because now it comes on frequently, parts store just said it was giving a gas cap code but wouldn't give me the code.
Next time it comes on I will take it elsewhere and get the actual code. I don't know if I have ever changed the filter, I will have to look at my service records but I think Hyundai changed it at some point. Gas cap looks ok.

Old 10-25-13, 08:47 PM
You took it out of my mouth. There have been several reports about Hyundais having refueling or vapor related issues, due to EVAP canister being very close to the gas tank and, sometimes, even charcoal getting into filler tube. Referring to purge valve. I am assuming it was on EVAP canister. If it's not, you may want to look deeper into this matter.