1996 Buick Lesabre purge sylinoid control circuit

Old 10-18-13, 08:52 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 1996 Buick Lesabre purge sylinoid control circuit

Can some one tell me what the computer code evaporative emission purge sylinoid control circuit means on a 96 Buick Lesabre? For about two years a strange nail polish odor has been coming out of the cabin vents. Two mechanics couldn't tell me what it was. I had auto zone put the code reader on it and that is what it indicated.
Recently it started smelling like something rotten after it has been driven about 20 miles. I'm scared to go very far for fear of a break down.

Old 10-18-13, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
That would be purge solenoid or valve. When the vehicle is not running.....the fumes from the gas tank are routed to a storage tank/canister. When the vehicle is started that solenoid/valve opens and purges or empties the fumes from the canister into the engine for burning.

That is a closed system and I doubt it would have anything to do with that smell inside the vehicle.

A rotten egg smell could be a catalytic converter issue.

I have no idea what could cause that kind of smell inside the vehicle.

Old 10-19-13, 04:41 AM
T
Sounds like the smell from your air vent and the code from your computer may not be related. Most likely source of the smell is a small rodent that has nested in the air plenum area and died in there. An investigative look would be in order to fix that. The code from your computer has to do with the evaporative emissions system as PJMAX from NJ has indicated. Best of luck. Cheers.

Old 10-19-13, 12:22 PM
S
How to repair

Would replacing the part fix it or could something else be causing that code? I can't do it but I thought my husband might. The car also has gasoline fume smell and I've had both fuel lines repaired and it still smells like that when I crank it. Thanks for your comments.

Old 10-19-13, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
A leak in the vacuum line between the purge valve and the gas tank or canister can cause that code to set and leave gas fumes.

So you would need to check every vacuum line carefully for a break or old age cracks.

Old 10-21-13, 06:32 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
if the code relates to the purge valve control circuit itself......then you have to check circuit with a voltmeter to verify power feed......the computer controls the ground through a transistor/driver.....if you have a voltmeter tell me code number and engine size and can do a few checks.....also can check resistance of the purge solenoid itself.....most time an open in the solenoid windings which would call for replacement of the solenoid.not expensive at local parts store.Sometimes the solenoid goes out taking the driver with it at that point would need a scan tool with bi-directional controls and a test light to test driver but not too often.

Old 10-26-13, 04:08 PM
S
96 buick code

Thanks autojoe and everyone else for the advice. I am going to have to take it to a mechanic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: