1983 corolla Transmission Problems

Old 10-29-13, 07:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 1983 corolla Transmission Problems

Hi, I have a problem with an A40/A41 automatic transmission on a 1983 corolla rear wheel drive... it was working fine, front pump seal was leaking. so I decided to overhaul it. Now it will not shift into second gear for about half a mile when cold. After that it shifts up just fine, however most of that time it does not shift down to first gear when coming to a stop, it takes off in second gear. Any idea what it could be?

Old 10-29-13, 09:56 PM
P
Overhaul

When you say overhaul , what do you mean? have you tested any pressures?
How did you clean the valve-body and what did you clean it with?
Give more details please. Automatic transmissions are complicated and very sensitive, so much that the lint from your shop rags can wreak havoc on them.

Old 10-31-13, 01:35 AM
S
83 corolla transmission problems rear wheel drive A40,A41?

Hello and thanks for replying! I have taken the transmission completly apart twice now. Like I said, before I took it apart the only problem was an oil leak coming from the front pump o-ring. So I bought the overhaul kit, replaced all the seals and all clutch/ friction discs. After I put the transmission back together the first time, to this day, it does not shift to second gear until I drive it for about one mile or so. During this time if I manually shift to second gear for a few seconds and then shift down to first gear manually I can feel a slight downshift and the engine rev a bit more. I can feel the transmission never completly shifted to second gear when I manually shifted to second is it possible for second gear to be partially engaging at this particular moment? Anyway, eventually it shifts to second, third shifts just fine. Also, when I come to a stop the tranny takes off in second. I can manually shift it down to first. I have noticed that if I drive it at freeway speeds for about 15 miles and then come to a stop, it starts taking off in first gear and shifting fine several times. Eventually, if I drive stop and go traffic it, I can feel it downshift to first gear right before the car comes to a stop. At one point it begins taking off in second again but, it suddenly kicks down to first gear as I accelerate. Eventually it goes back to taking off in second gear again. Also reverse and third were slipping really bad because I installed two incorrect/smaller oil seal rings on center support (metal seals).. I found this out by air checking the drums. Also after I put the transmission back together the first time and realized something was wrong I tested the only two pressures that I can test: line pressure and governor pressure, both within specs. The second time I took the transmission apart I did find lots of lint on the filter screen and some metal shavings, so I reinspected the clutches, rear clutch discs looked dark, but ok, not burnt or worn. Installed the correct oil seal rings for reverse and third. Cleaned valve body again but, I did not remove every single valve. I did not use rags this time. Since then I have also removed and cleaned the governor two more times. I tried to reuse the fluid the last time, but I din't because it looked a bit cloudy and/or darker as if metal is mixed with it, not sure if this is normal? I haven't removed the pan a third time so I do not know if there is any more metal shavings in it. Also I did not pay attention to the oil pump gears when I took them off both of the times and could not find any marks to identify top or bottom. I think this about sums it up. If you have anymore questions let me know.
Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: