2002 hyundai santa fe not starting.

Old 11-02-13, 11:29 AM
2002 hyundai santa fe not starting.

my wifes car is a 2002 hyundai santa fe, v6. a week ago, a few warning lights started coming on while driving (battery, brake, and check engine) and would go back off after 10 0r 15 minutes.(except for the check engine) as she was pulling into our neighborhood, she said that the car started moderately jerking, trying to stall, and more lights came on. (abs, tcs, etc.) she pulled into our driveway and turned it off. she then immediately tried to start it, and it "said no". it wont even turn over, it just clicks like the battery is dead. i jumped it off with another car, and it started, and ran for at least 5 minutes. however, when i got in and pushed the brake pedal, it bogged and the dash lights dimmed. then i tried to shift into reverse, and it stalled. i had the battery tested and it was low. it was pushing 12.24 v, but only 121 amps. the auto parts store slow charged the battery for me overnight, and the next day the battery tested good on their tester. i then had them test the alternator, and it tested good as well. please help me out. where do i go from here?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-13, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

It's kind of hard to get a handle on your problem although it sounds like battery wire connections need to be checked and cleaned at the battery and the vehicle end.

At the present time the battery is charged but when you turn the key to start the vehicle all you get is a click ?

Old 11-02-13, 03:59 PM
thank you for replying. its running at the moment. i put the charged battery in and cleaned the grounds and terminals about an hour ago. i havn't driven far yet, but all of the lights are gone and its running normally. could i get you to keep following this? i've read about cases of this type of thing happening intermittently, and fear that this isnt the end of it. thank you.

Old 11-02-13, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
I check the forums every day...... usually at night. If I don't see your post.... just bump it.

Old 11-03-13, 08:24 PM
i have seen quite a few alternators charge like new when cold and crap out once hot. sounds just like a bad alternator to me. but there is also a chance of a broken plate in your battery, fine when not touching another plate but when it does it shorts out the battery. need to have tested while problem is accruing.

Old 11-23-13, 07:55 AM
almost there. (hopefully)

ok. problem did return. i replaced the battery and it ran fine for a week, then same thing. one of the 4ga wires connecting to the battery and going into the harness was clearly shorted and burnt. it is pinkish red in color. i exposed the 4ga wire at the alternator, and it appeared the same. pinkish in color, and burnt. when i cut hat end off, several inches back, the wire was not pretty. same with the battery end. (IN ALL OF THIS, I HOPE I HAVE NOT *#@$%'& UP) i then ran a new 4ga wire in new conduit from the battery to the alternator. i connected the battery with new terminals, and the car would not start. turn the key and all you get is a slight turn of the motor, and then nothing. today im going to try removing and reconnecting my new pos. terminal. i've looked for wiring schematics on that harness, but with my computer, its proven difficult. does the wire i ran in fact replace the two ends that i cut? please help. also, does anyone have a link for the schematics? oh, yeah, this is terry sturgis, from the original post, i must have signed on with my wifes facebook.

Old 11-23-13, 08:02 AM
For 2002 you should have repair manuals for it easily available.
If motor turns even ever so little, but nothing more happens, you either have dead battery or major connection issue between battery>starter>ground.
You appear to be handy with wires, so why don't you bypass the factory harness and crank starter directly?
You should be able to buy starter to battery cables. Seen them sold for various vehicles.
But either way, something was shortened there before, and you need to find out what and where, so that it does not come back.
Sorry for you trouble, btw.

Old 11-23-13, 08:04 AM
thank you for the advice, you wouldn't happen to know a link for free manuals for this car, would you?

Old 11-23-13, 08:05 AM
Also, be very careful jumping or removing cables from starter. I know at least one Nissan, where there was no way to tell, after cables removed, what was + or -. Resulted in fried system when they were apparently crossed during reinstall. After that, I mark and take pics of any starter cables.

Old 11-23-13, 08:08 AM
Yeah, it's called library or parts store. You may have some luck with Autozone online repair guides, but, otherwise, go into Hyundai forums for that.

Old 11-23-13, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
If you're planning on keeping it for any length of time, a subscription at alldata.com is also one way you can go; one year is $26.95, 5 years is $44.95. Click on the link for diy-ers. AllData is what the professional garages use.

Old 11-23-13, 02:08 PM
Actually, 5 year DIY sub is around $40 and 2nd vehicle is $25 only for 5 years. I just added my Camry. It's 8 and 5 bucks a year respectively per car, which is a cost of a latte.