Is it my Power Steering Pump? 2002 Audi A6

Old 11-06-13, 02:28 PM
Is it my Power Steering Pump? 2002 Audi A6

I just purchased a beautiful 2002 Audi A6 with 138,000 on it. Just started getting a bit of a whining noise at times when I turn the steering wheel either left and/or right. Figuring the pump is having some issues. My question is with the holidays rapidly approaching, is it possible the pump might last a bit longer before having to be replaced. I was hoping to have this replaced in January of 2014. Hoping a mechanic or someone knowledgeable can comment. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-13, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked the fluid level? If it's low, adding fluid may quieten it down. Are there any leaks?

Old 11-06-13, 03:18 PM
Hey marksr!

The fluid level is fine and there are no apparent leaks showing up on the garage floor - Just trying to figure if this condition can linger for a while before going from bad to worse. Again, with the holidays approaching, hoping I can hold off until January.

Old 11-06-13, 03:40 PM
This is one of those questions impossible to answer. Kinda like how long before I will have a heart attack. Things making a noise dont usually get better tho.

Old 11-06-13, 06:56 PM
Start with adding Lucas PS treatment.
As a good rule of thumb, anything that even smells of German, French, Or Swedish, should be asked in proper dedicated forums, plenty of those. It's their way or freeway, and none of them is American or Japanese way.