Underside plastic cover shattered; is it safe for now?

Old 11-12-13, 08:17 AM
Question Underside plastic cover shattered; is it safe for now?

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege. One (dark) night a couple weeks ago one I was unable to steer around a roadkilled deer someone else had already hit in the middle of the lane, and ran over it. I didn't notice any damage to my car at the time until yesterday, when making a tight turn and noticed a scraping sound coming from the front-right area of the car.

I went to go take a look in daylight today and found that there's a plastic cover underneath the front-right area of the car next to the wheel (right where the car ran over the deer) that's been partially shattered.

So my questions are 1) is it safe to drive like this for a few days until I can get it to the shop, and 2) how expensive might that plastic cover be to replace?

Name:  DSC06898.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  DSC06900.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  37.9 KB

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-13, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's ok to drive it like that provided the loose pieces don't come in contact with the pulley, belt or any thing else that moves.

I don't know what that shield costs but it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to replace.

Old 11-12-13, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd remove it and put the bolts back in the hole. Then start looking for a new one at some local junk yards.
I'd bet there price will be 75% less then a dealer.

Old 11-12-13, 08:36 AM
Yep. I'm having trouble locating the exact name/model # of the part, but actually found another thread from 2005 about needing to replace the same part. Just need to figure out what the heck it's called.

Old 11-12-13, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just go to the dealer he can look it up, give you a written quote with the part # and name right on the quote.

Old 11-12-13, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
I have always called them a engine splash guard. JCWhitney has a lot of aftermarket splash guards. I saw two different brands? on their Mazda mud flap & splash guard page.