2003 Subaru stumbes under load

Old 11-12-13, 03:37 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
2003 Subaru stumbes under load

Wife's Sub, 2.6, manual trans, stumbles under a load. In 2nd gear it bucks and snorts until hitting 2,500 rpm, then revs on up fine. If this were 1969, I'd put in new points and condenser.

Old 11-12-13, 04:25 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Whens the last time the fuel filters air filter and plugs were changed?
I say filters not filter because one of my Subaru's had two. One was behind the rear right had tire.
The dealer tried to tell me the engine was shot and needed replacing.
I changed the 2, fuel filters and it ran like a top for the next 5 years.
The filter was full of water and it was freezing up.

Old 11-12-13, 05:24 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
It could be in the valves, but the first place I would look would be in the MAP or MAF sensor, whichever it has. If it's in the fueldelivery system I would think it would get worse in the higher rpms. That should be a 2.5L, if it's a four cylinder.

Old 11-13-13, 06:51 AM
H
It must be a 2.5, I was guessing. It seems if fuel delivery were the problem that higher rpm would be a problem. This only has 70k miles, so don't think the plugs have been replaced. Everything else on the worst car ever built has. I guess it'll have to head to the shop. We use an independent Subaru only shop. I have not been happy with either local dealer.

Old 11-13-13, 07:52 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Subies usually do really well for a lot of miles. Are the 70k miles from a lot of in town driving or from highway. The timing belt on the 2.5 has to be changed at 100k to avoid problems in running plus it's an interference engine. If the belt goes it all turns to junk. If your miles are a lot of in town driving, the belt may be a problem.

I've replaced a lot of stuff on mine which is a 2000 with 235,000 on it. The only big headache I had was with the front cat sensor. Once I got the information on the problem, I changed it and the car's been great ever since. In snow and ice it's the best I've owned. My wife drives a 2014 Forester - about 34 mpg.

The biggest thing about a Subaru is it's very proprietary on parts. You just about have to avoid after market stuff, spend a couple of bucks more, and get OEM Subie stuff.

Old 11-15-13, 01:01 PM
H
It was just plug wires. However, it is always something with this car. It was 1-1/2 qts low on oil after 2200 miles. I haven't had a car in 30 yrs that used any oil. I guess we'll have to watch it now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: