Shimmy in 1999 Ford Crown Victoria

Old 11-17-13, 05:36 PM
Shimmy in 1999 Ford Crown Victoria

My mother owns a 1999 Ford Crown Vic. with only 64,000 miles and I have noticed a small shimmy after driving a few miles. You can feel the shimmy in the steering wheel and it feels as if you are running over those small warning speed bumps. A mechanic changed the transmission fluid, filters, etc. and later added a transmission conditioner. The auto is not driven often but I noticed that is still has the shimmy but is not quite as prominent as it once was. I was speaking with a mechanic in a doctor's office out of town and he said it sounded more like a bad coil pack. Is there any way to test the coil packs without connecting the vehicle to a computer to see if this is the problem? Do you have any other suggestions of what we may need to look at?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-13, 06:26 PM
To me --- shimmy would refer to something along the lines of worn ball joints , tie rods , wheel bearings , out of balance wheel ( or bent ) , etc.

The other items related to the coil packs or transmission would be more of rough running or poor drivabilty.

Old 11-17-13, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At what speed do you feel shimmy, A low speed shimmy usually is a separated tire. Need a good tire man to find.

Old 11-18-13, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's a bad tire, swapping the front tires to the back will often eliminate or change the vibration and may help you narrow down the cause.

Old 11-18-13, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
Could have lost a wheel weight, too, and I agree the described symptoms and the attempted earlier repairs don't match.

Old 11-19-13, 07:57 PM
I forgot to mention that it is not a constant shimmy as one would expect in an unbalanced wheel or separated tire but a periodic vibration anywhere from 45 mph to 65 mph.

Old 11-20-13, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would check all the front end parts for wear. Sometimes a bump in the road can cause a vibration that isn't always there. Those types of vibrations will almost always go away when you slow down.

Old 11-20-13, 05:56 AM
How old are the tires? How many miles on them? Sounds like a belt shifting in one of the tires.

Have the wheel assemblies (wheel/tire) removed and check for bent rim, tire run-out and balance. Rotate the tires at the same time and see how the car runs.

Search this Thread