Subaru Forester oil leak

Old 11-18-13, 04:47 AM
Subaru Forester oil leak

I'm a Subaru lover whose last Forester, a 2005, had a blown head gasket with198,000 miles. I bought a new 2011 Forester and w/ 65,000 miles I have an oil leak! 5000 miles out of warranty and I'm mad. I drive 30,000 a year for work and have oil changes every 5 - 6 thousand miles religiously and don't know what else to do to avoid this! How can I stop this leak without having major engine work? HELP - If I can't stop it I'm getting rid of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-13, 05:12 AM
need more info

You have to be a little more specific, where exactly is the leak? It may be serious or it may be nothing...

Old 11-18-13, 05:42 AM
subaru oil leak

My mechanic put it on the lift because I smelled something burning. I was hoping it was a plastic bag or something melted to the underside. BUT NO - He removed the two corner covers toward the front of the underside and the oil was all along the front seam of the engine.

Old 11-18-13, 06:51 AM
He should have tracked it down.. did he? Could be a bad gasket on the oil filter, which is easily fixed. Could be the valve cover gaskets or the o-rings that seal off the spark plugs, which would be harder to fix, but still no reason to give up on a car with 65K on it.

Old 11-18-13, 07:15 AM
Group Moderator
So, are you asking about the leak on your 2011? I'm not sure what the 2005 has to do with your problem. And, without saying where your oil is leaking from there is nothing we can do except guess.

Old 11-18-13, 07:32 AM
no, the 2005 had a blown head gasket.....just another engine problem and the reason I sold it (with full disclosure, of course). The mechanic did not look further into the leak as it was just a visit to help determine the origin of the smell.

The 2011 is the one with the oil leak

Old 11-18-13, 07:35 AM
He did not track it down as I was just stopping in to see if we could determine the origin of the burning smell. Now that you mention some of the possible causes, the smell did start after the last oil change. When I looked under the hood when the smell started, there was oil pooling around the filter. I cleaned it off and it did not reappear. I guess I could take it back in and have him research it further. The thought of major engine work on a 2011 vehicle is not something I'm willing to live with.

Old 11-18-13, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Thought I had an oil leak somewhere from the engine on my 2001 Tribute (145K). Saw spots in the gravel where it was parked. Asked my regular shop to see if they could find it when I had an oil change and lube done. Mech said it looked like it was coming from a valve cover or crankcase but he couldn't be sure w/o some dis-assy which there was no time for. Went home planning to do some searching myself. Noticed after a week or so, no more oil spots. Had to have been a loose filter or bad gasket. Prior oil change was from WalMart, never going back there.

Old 11-19-13, 09:44 AM
I would not consider fixing an oil leak (probably a bad valve cover gasket or something along those lines) to be major engine work. Major work is a tear down and rebuild. Hardly something you would do for a leak. If the "leak" started after an oil change I would suspect that it could be spilled oil that happened during the change. Filters are notorious for being in in-accessible places and dripping/spilling all ofer when removed. Good mechanics do their best to mitigate this and will usually clean up the spills when they happen. Lube pit jockeys don't care as they area all about speed.

Old 11-19-13, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
I would look into the source of the leak before panicking. Possibly have the engine cleaned to make it easier to spot the source of the leak. It could have just been spilled oil from the oil change seeping around and occasionally dripping on a header making a smell. Or maybe two gaskets under the new filter causing it to leak.

Have you been checking the dipstick regularly to see if your are loosing much oil?

Old 11-19-13, 07:28 PM
contact subaru. they had issues with oil leaks and when bugged i have seen them assist on at least half the repair bill. even 100% on a few that was just out of warrenty. if im thinking right they even put out a "TSB" stateing they was giving extend warrentys for oil leaks(if coming from the head gasket)