2000 Dodge Grand Caravan dinging when idles

Old 11-18-13, 07:47 PM
2000 Dodge Grand Caravan dinging when idles

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with a 3.3L engine.
Recently had to replace the input and output valves on the shifter solenoid. At the same time the shifting issue was happening, the ignition bell would start dinging like crazy when the engine was at an idle (stop light, sitting in park, etc...). I noticed when the RPMs drop to 700, the dinging would start, but if I shift into neutral and give it some gas, the dinging stops once the RPMs surpass 750 but as soon as I let off and the RPMs drop back down to 700, it starts again. No idiot lights come on. All other gauges are normal.
I went to AutoZone to have the computer read and it came back with a code about a bad airflow in the EGR valve. I disconnected the vacuum hoses and sprayed some carb cleaner through them and into the valve itself. Dinging still continues. It appears as though removing the EGR valve is going to be a hell of a task, but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done. Any other thoughts as to the cause of the problem before I spend $67 on the valve only to have it NOT be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-13, 07:56 PM
sounds are the worst to diag over the internet. but ill try. i have owned three of these, in my life(97,98,2000). going off the what i think a dinging noise would sound like my guess would be a loose heat shield(or something else thin thats rattling). egr issues could only happen while driving(1000-3000rpm), unless it was stuck open but then you would have a dieing issue.

Old 11-18-13, 08:03 PM
It's the ignition bell that is dinging. You know, like if you leave the keys in the ignition and open the door? Same noise, only faster.
And it starts doing it after I've driven for a few miles and the engine is "warmed up" so to speak.

Old 11-18-13, 09:07 PM
Perhaps a low oil pressure warning? Never heard of it personally but low idle could equal low oil pressure. Have you changed grades lately, or brands, or perhaps it's due for a change? What do you have to lose if it's due for a change anyway?

Old 11-19-13, 04:22 AM
Just did an oil change last week as well and it didn't help. I just bought the van on October 2. On October 26, I noticed the shifting problem and that's when the ignition bell dinging started as well. I fixed the shift issue and thought the dinging was associated with it but was wrong. I had the computer read prior to replacing the shifting solenoid input and output and the code for the EGR valve wasn't on it. After I replaced those and it still was dinging, I took it back to AutoZone and had the computer read again and that's when the EGR valve code came up.
I just find it weird that the EGR valve code wasn't there in the first place even though the dinging was present at that time. I guess when I have some time next week, I'm going to take the EGR valve apart and check for cracked/worn gaskets and such and go from there. Just baffled as to why the code wasn't there the first time if that's really the issue....

Old 11-19-13, 07:22 PM
so no lights on the dash or gauges way off when this happens?

Old 11-19-13, 08:01 PM
None whatsoever.... My boyfriend mentioned checking the fuses for the idiot lights to see if they are burned out and therefore not lighting up when they should. It's quite strange.

Old 11-20-13, 07:19 PM
there must be something we are missing, on every car that has an "dinger" that goes off at certain times always has a back up waring. the nosie is to tell you to look at your dash. just for giggles next time this happens move the turn signal switch and see if it stops. i do know if the turn is left on to long it will warn you. if the switch is bad and barely touching electrically(not enough to turn the signal on but enough for the computer to think it is) then it will do this. but there is no way for the egr to cause this.

Old 11-22-13, 05:42 AM
No, it's not the turn signal. Like I said, it has to have something to do with the idle and RPMs as it stops when the RPMs are above 800 and occurs when they drop to 700 at idle. I can't wrap my mind around why it's suddenly throwing an EGR code when it wasn't before even though the warning was present the first time the computer was read.
Maybe I will video it today and put it on youtube and post the link so you can see the dash and hear the noise.

Old 11-22-13, 05:55 AM
Just FYI: The code that comes up is P0401: EGR system fault. The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system.
Causes:
Blocked passage on EGR system ( I cleaned it with carb cleaner so probably not it)
Failed EGR valve (Guess that could be a possibility, but the part is $67...trying to find alternative first)
Failed EGR position sensor (Can't seem to find where, exactly this is located. Is it inside the EGR valve? It's not pinpointed on any diagram I have seen. Maybe replacing that first might be cheaper than the whole valve??)

I'm just reluctant to replace the whole valve, because, like I've said, it was doing this ignition bell warning when I had the shifting problem and the computer did NOT throw an EGR code at that time. That makes me think that it must be a different cause than the EGR. It doesn't seem to me that it runs rough (which I had to replace the EGR on my Ford Aerostar a few years ago, so I know what running rough would be like in comparison) so there's another reason I'm not so willing to shell out $67 for no reason.

Old 12-04-13, 09:59 PM
The egr is hard to change and they fail a lot. I don't know what the dinging has to do with that. If a door is not closed properly the dinging will go away with speed.

Search this Thread