Cleaning Wheels for New Weights

Old 11-19-13, 11:07 AM
Cleaning Wheels for New Weights

My aftermarket wheels require the use of sticky weights when balancing and I was wondering what type of cleaner I should use to remove the old weights and residue before having them balanced. Would goo-gone be sufficient? My main concern is that I don't want to use a cleaner that will leave behind a residue and prevent the new weights from sticking. Also, are there a certain brand of sticky weights that are superior to another? The weights put on my wheels most recently seem a bit cheap compared to the old ones.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-13, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
I physically scrape off the big globs then use lacquer thinner or MEK to dissolve the remaining glue & tape. Unfortunately those solvents will also dissolve many paints and clear coats so you have to be careful to not get any on the visible part of the rim.

Old 11-19-13, 03:33 PM
Ok. I imagine acetone would work too wouldn't it? And wouldn't be as harsh as MEK?

Old 11-19-13, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Yea. Start with mild solvents and work up until you get the results you want. I generally go right for the nuclear option... probably why I'm not President.

Old 11-19-13, 06:46 PM
Not sure why YOU have to clean wheels before THEY will put sticky weights on them... Never had it done MYSELF and never had any issues, and I am the type that tells THEM to put sticky weights onto ALL of my wheels. As I firmly believe that regular weights do not stay on rims.
Btw, tell THEM to cover sticky weights with sticky foil. It's ame thing as furnace tape. Just larger. Secures weights in place perfectly well.