I have a strange question

Old 11-19-13, 06:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a strange question

I have an older second car and it uses no oil but I should change the oil.I have quite a bit of different brands of oil on hand from various peoples cars etc.Some are 5w30,10w30,5w20 and so on.I have enough of the same weights but they are like Valvoline,pennsoil,and etc.Is it ok to use them for an oil change as long as they are the same weight even if they are of different brands?I just redid my garage and came up with these qts of oil that haven.t been opened. I have never interchanged oil weights or brands before but is there that much difference in weights between brands? Thanks very much.I am trying to get more room in my garage.

Old 11-19-13, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
some would say yes, but i can not see why. oil is oil the differance is the additives. worst case is that it would make it burn oil if u use to thin of oil. just keep an eye on the level before you change it again.

Old 11-19-13, 08:12 PM
Yes you can mix different brands and to a point different weight.

Old 11-20-13, 10:23 AM
mixing oil brands

I have about 5 unopened qts.of 10w30 wt. there is Pennzoil,valvoline,and one other brand maybe an off brand like some stores own brand. This old van never has used oil. Actually its in much better shape than a lot of peoples only cars.Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 11-20-13, 08:15 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
You should only be concerned with oil weight. Oil is oil. It's not Dexcool. Should you be living in say AK or a very hot state, then oil viscosity plays a bit of importance for car engine, mostly due to cold start ups and driving in very hot climate. But otherwise...
But never mix alcohols. That is a big no-no. Worst hangover cause.

Old 11-20-13, 08:33 PM
But never mix alcohols. That is a big no-no. Worst hangover cause.

as someone once said ..... worst hangover I had was when I was sober.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: