07 Dodge Grand Caravan Front and Rear blower not working.

Old 11-20-13, 08:02 AM
07 Dodge Grand Caravan Front and Rear blower not working.

So the wife went to go to work this morning (was -10'c this morning), and the van blowers wouldn't turn on.
I checked the fuses and swapped the front and rear blower relays around with no luck.
Heat is coming into the cabin, just not with any assistance from the blowers.
I searched Google (my co-mechanic) and found only one thread on another forum with the same issue, but no resolution. All other Google hits where one blower or the other failed or only worked on high which is a resistor pack.
I did notice the gauges on the dash did a full swipe when I started the van. The last time I did this, it was a failing battery (this spring). Readings are about 12.5v with the engine off and 14.5ish with it running. The off voltage is a bit concerning so I through it on the charger) disconnected terminals for extra measure) and will clean before reconnecting. Battery is less then 9 months old.

Any thoughts or ideas?
I'm did a resistor pack on my wife's cousin's truck a couple years ago when he was going cross country with no heat. Can't remember if it was a dodge or a ford he was driving.
No part stores local to me, so will need to have the wife pick anything needed while in town (she's driving my summer car, no snow yet)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-13, 08:33 AM
My first thought is the battery is failing. I would have it load tested. Back when I worked in auto-electric repair, I would come across new batteries that were dead.

Old 11-20-13, 08:36 AM
Doubt its the battery, but charged it anyway. The van cold started without issues.

Old 11-20-13, 05:43 PM
Ruled out it being the resistor pack. Had replaced it on a friend's truck with the same issue a few years ago, but it didn't work in my case.
Tried so far;
Checked fuses and swapped relays around with no success.
Replaced resistor module with no success.
Disconnected the battery for an hour while it was on the charger, no success
No engine codes

Any thoughts?

Old 11-20-13, 07:01 PM
Had a dumb though and had to check. The AC works, and does not turn off when the fan control knob is turned to the off position.
Its starting to look like the control knob/switch may be the issue, but I'm not sure.
Any other thoughts?

Old 11-20-13, 07:56 PM
Last testing before I packed it in.
Pulled the center console apart. The HVAC has 3 connectors. With all quiet, I could hear all the controls moving motors (moving blending doors, etc). All connectors where tightly seated. The main front fan speed knob is the only control that didn't impact any remote motor or function.
It was getting too cold to fight with the connector (didn't want to break any plastic) so I didn't get to bring the controls into the house to look closer for defects.

Old 12-06-13, 05:35 AM
I thought I updated this thread, but I guess it didn't post.
The issue was a couple damaged wires on the bottom side of the ICM (fuse box under hood). This is apparently a common issue on this generation of the van as the wires and plugs are exposed on the bottom. There is no cover on the bottom of the box to keep all the road crap out.
If anyone has any electrical issues with these vans, remove the battery, and flip the ICM over (flips over towards where the battery is located).
Apparently there was an upgrade ICM released to resolve this issue.