tire pressure sensor

Old 11-23-13, 01:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tire pressure sensor

My wife broke the valve stem off the tire on her 2010 Corolla. Left the tire at a shop to get a new regular stem for $30.00. The mechanic said he found a stem with a sensor in the back and put it on. No extra charge. It doesn't work but the manual says that Toyota has to reprogram the computer. Will they use this sensor or do I need a new one. Personally I think that these sensors are a waste of money and nothing but trouble but they seem to be standard and the light is annoying. I have to take it to the dealer anyway because the last time I had the oil changed I took it too Jiffy Lube and now I can't get the oil filter cap off. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-13, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
i don't work at a dealer, but we can program these. problem is you need a number written on the sensor (inside the tire). best bet is while your at it replace all four. the batteries on the sensors only Last 4-6 years. meaning you'll be back soon to do it all over again. IF it was my car i would put regular stems in and remove the bulb. but technically i believe its against the law.

Old 11-24-13, 06:38 AM
M
Thanks for your help. I thought they might need a number off the sensor so I might take your advice and get all 4. We just got new tires last year and I don't if they were replaced or reused. I have to get the oil filter problem taken care of so I guess I'll be spending s some money. Thanks again.

Old 11-24-13, 07:59 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Actually, I find TPMS monitors a fine feature. One just warned me on low pressure in my Ridgeline not so long ago. That they are pita and $$ pit - yes, but they do help.
Oil filter cap? You have canister oil filter? Get a spider like filter wrench.
Hopkins Flo Too Adjustable 3 Prong Oil Filter Wrench | eBay

Old 11-24-13, 08:37 AM
M
Disagree on the monitor issue but no big deal. I tried 5 different wrenches (2 spider, 1 chain, 1 band and 1 cup) with cheaters and no luck . I think it is cross threaded.

Old 11-24-13, 04:57 PM
Yes, indeed, that's a plastic cap with large diameter small pitch thread. It is easy to cross thread. This is why, and it's a beat up prayer, we normally do our oil changes ourselves. Oil pans or things of your nature are expensive to replace.
But I somehow do not buy it. For what it is, it should be able to come loose, even cross threaded. The only plug I could not get out was ATF drain plug in my Silverado, but it had rubber seal in its head, that burnt to the pan solid, times very soft bolt head. And that's out of about 30 cars of makes various and lost count how many oil changes in 21 years.

Old 11-24-13, 05:00 PM
OK, you should have a release bolt in the cap center. Normally, it is released first to drain oil out of the cartilage, then cap is twisted off. If you have it, try that first.