Timing belt: change at miles interval, or time in service, or both?

Old 12-04-13, 12:01 PM
Timing belt: change at miles interval, or time in service, or both?

2005 Toyota Sequoia has 82k miles on it, and the service manual says to change the timing belt at 90k.

The truck (and this timing belt) have been in service for about 10 years. Is there a time component to how the belt wears? Or should I just wait til the odometer is about to hit 90k?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-13, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
The 4.7L is an interference engine. If the belt fails, likely to cause massive engine damage. I'd schedule the change at your next oil change interval if it is close to the 90K mark.

Old 12-04-13, 01:44 PM
Thanks for a quick reply, Vic-

Old 12-04-13, 02:46 PM
Changing the timing belt is a couple of hundred dollars more or less. Rebuilding an engine that has slipped the timing belt will be in the thousands. Ask me how I know.

Old 12-04-13, 03:06 PM
Waiting for things to break only costs much more money plus the inconvenience.

Timing belts never give much notice. I lost one when the car running great and idling. The damage was immediate and it was a pricy repair for a new valve replacement for a 3.8L V6, not without considering the time and problems with new transportation until finished.

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 12-04-13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Change the water pump while you're in there if it's a timing-belt-driven pump; only adds the price of the pump and a very small amount, if any, for labor.

Old 12-05-13, 07:43 PM
Actually - and I do not know, what wisdom still drives Japanese into BELTS on interference engines - (blessed be Nissan, at least) - timing belt on a V6 is 4 hrs labor only, plus part. Plus about 6 other items that are highly recommended to be changed, from 0.1 to 1.9 labor time per item. Toss in water pump, as wisely recommended - and you are at around $1700 for "easy" few hundred job.
Of course, damage to engine costs more. But problem is, it's not really a DIY job because of VVTI module driven by same belt.