1999 Saturn Skipping!!

Old 12-05-13, 09:27 AM
1999 Saturn Skipping!!

I have a 1999 Saturn with the 1.9l DOHC in it. For a while now it has had a intermittent skip that has became a real pain. Here is everything that I've done to it. I have replaced the catalytic converter, plugs, wires and front o2 sensor. The check engine light is on for the rear o2 sensor and SOMETIMES a random misfire code. Now the car is definitely running rich because I'm getting horrible gas mileage. When it first started it was at cruising speed between about 55 and 65. Then it went away for almost a month.Well now its back and worse. It use to only do it after it warms up but now its pretty much doing it when it first starts. It skips and loses power from about 2000 to 2500 rpm's and up. Sometimes it bad but tolerable and sometimes its unbearable. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-13, 11:03 AM
Having gone through a random misfire issue mysef (1999 Acura Integra LS), one area you did not mention is the fuel injector. Running rich would suggest a fuel injector is stuck open. I did not do the diagnosis myself but I am told that you can actually listen to the injector click open and closed by putting a listening device on it while it is operating. I believe the listening device is somewhat like a stethescope with a long solid rod on the end to touch to things.

Old 12-05-13, 12:31 PM
I have thought about the injectors myselfbecause its running rich. I think I will give that a shot. It was so random before I couldnt check that but now that its doing it bad I should be able to because it skips at idle now. Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-05-13, 01:49 PM
Is the "check engine" light on? Is there any stored codes ?

Old 12-05-13, 03:03 PM
As I mentioned before in my original post the check light is on for the rear o2 sensor and sometimes a random misfire code shows up. As of tonight on the way home the check engine light is off for the first time in a couple of months but the skipping hasn't stopped. I also forgot to mention when it starts skipping you can smell the catalytic converter bad.

Old 04-24-14, 12:26 PM
injector can cause and there were many Saturns where injectors were clogging with a crystal like deposits.Pull plug wire to determine cylinder misfire. I have removed injectors , cleaned them and reinstalled and will work fine , however problem will reoccur unless it is replaced with the updated injector. Also inspect coil pack carefully for cracks and corroded coil towers. Spray water on coil pack and watch for arching to help find crack

Old 04-24-14, 08:14 PM
Fuel Filter/Pressure Regulator. It's located on the driver side under the car. It is actuated with vacuum pressure, check line for leaks. If this pressure regulator goes bad it can cause random misfires. Also, if you've never replaced the fuel filter it's a 2 birds with 1 stone situation. If you replace it, get the Saturn OEM replacement, don't get the cheap knockoff or you will probably regret it before long.

Search this Thread