2006 Chevy Aveo: 144,000 miles

Old 12-06-13, 07:46 PM
2006 Chevy Aveo: 144,000 miles

Sudden loss of power/rpm. Would not go over 2,000rpm (pedal pegged). Engine light on. Rolled to a stop - rough idle. Accompanying smell. Limped it home (3 miles). Radiator has been replaced three times (pattern failure on this vehicle). Ambient Temp about -2 f.

Shut it off. Started it again right away and it revved fine (3,500rpm) for a few seconds, then right back to previous condition.

1. What happened? I'm not a car guy.

2. Should I even pay to have this checked out? The book on the car is about $.87. Bummed I just put new snows on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 04:20 AM
Group Moderator
First order of business, get get the code checked. That may point you right to the culprit or at least put you in the ballpark. Clogged cat comes to mind, but there are other possibilities. Post back when you get code read. If you can't get it to where there's a scanner (Autozone/Advance/NAPA) you might consider buying a small economy reader. They go for about 50 bucks.

Old 12-07-13, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Just checked and Auto Zone has one for $39.95. Other places probably have same type basic reader in similar price range.

Old 12-07-13, 10:41 AM
Well, truly, I have not seen them charging for readers. They may take a deposit fee, to refund at return. Normally, you simply limp there and ask them to scope codes.
It's a Suzuki, right? Manual or automatic? I know it's GM, but it's a Suzuki made for GM, Areo vs Aveo. Get on Suzuki forum.
If it's automatic, and it being a GM badge, and having history of failing radiator/heating system, it went into limp mode. GM has that for cars that leak coolants etc, transmission overheats, and ECM shuts everything down to prevent further damage.

Old 12-07-13, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the replies folks! i'm on my way to buy/borrow a reader. Just waiting for the wife to get ready

I'll post back when I get some answers.

Old 12-07-13, 03:04 PM
Codes are: P2106, P2110, P161B, P2106 pending, P2110 pending, and P161B pending.

Google says "low voltage may be present" on the P2106 and P2110. The P161B has to do with exceeding torque?

Could this just be the result of an old, tired battery?

Old 12-07-13, 05:04 PM
P2106 Throttle Actuator Ctrl Sys-Forced Limited Power

P2110 Throttle Actuator Ctrl Sys-Forced Limited RPM

You will likely have to have the fault code cleared and see if it resets. I have had these fault codes due to a failed battery but also due to a failure in the throttle body.

#07-06-04-009: Information on Diagnosing DTC P2106 and P2110 - Low Voltage Condition May Be Present - (Mar 19, 2007)

Subject: Information on Diagnosing DTC P2106 and P2110 -- Low Voltage Condition May Be Present

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Aveo, Optra
2006-2007 Pontiac Wave
with Throttle Actuator Control (TAC)

The purpose of this bulletin is to inform dealers of additional diagnostic information available for DTC P2106 and P2110.

Dealers should be aware of the following information when diagnosing DTC P2106 and P2110:
If DTCs P2106 and P2110 are set with no other DTCs, check the battery and charging system for low voltage first.
The ECM will set these two DTCs with no other DTCs to prevent throttle actuator errors caused by a continued low voltage condition.
The charging system low voltage condition should be resolved prior to further diagnosis for these two DTCs.

Please refer to DTC P2104, P2105, P2106, or P2110 diagnostic procedures for the appropriate engine type in SI for additional information

Old 12-07-13, 05:35 PM
Awesome! Thanks. The bat. is an easy fix. Heck, it's been in there since 06'. is the throttle body something a guy can do himself? I can and will clear the codes in the morning. I'll also get a new bat. If that don't fix her, I'll be back here asking how to find/fix a throttle body.

Thanks again. This place is a great resource!

Old 12-07-13, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
I think Igor misunderstood what I meant when referring to a reader earlier. I was suggesting you could invest in a low price one. Borrowing or renting was also an option, but frankly at the low price you have to pay for a basic reader, it's not a bad toy to have around.

Old 12-08-13, 07:00 AM
No problem. I have no doubt, there is a basic deposit fee or, some stores WILL charge for rental.
As of "cheap" scanner, I switched to Torque app for my android. BT adapter is 9 bucks, app is free or 5 dollars, fun is great.

OP, not that I know what I am talking about, but what you have sort of sounds like what I mentioned - limp mode. Computer FORCES throttle into low response, due to low power supply, not to damage the power train. I think, once you have battery replaced - AND CABLES CLEANED/LUBRICATED/SPRAYED OVER WITH SEALANT - those codes should be reset and never come back.

Old 12-08-13, 04:00 PM
You guys are like the Rolling Stones of car help. I got a reader ($49). Posted the codes, followed advice, car runs fine.

You were exactly right. New bat, erase codes, simple as that.

Thanks again to all.

Old 12-08-13, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the additional, Igor. I've seen the smartphone scanner apps but haven't played with one yet; I'm a dumbphone using dinosaur.

Old 12-08-13, 08:46 PM
Hmm..
Though grateful for kind words, I'd rather not be considered that terrible - and old. But, hey, main point is - you back on the road.

Old 12-08-13, 08:57 PM
Torque is very easy to use, actually.
Costs involved:
Torque app - free or $5 donation for slightly more fancy version
Bluetooth dongle OBD2 compatible - $8-$10 ebay.
Set up is about 1 minute for dongle; about 5 for app settings, mostly vehicle profile.
Then you simply turn it on on the phone and set phone somewhere convenient. Torque shows roughly 100 or so parameters available from ECM. Graphs. You can set lap times, all kinds of 0 to this ot that times. You can set metric or standard. Real time data stream or logs. Good part about logs, they are uploaded to the cloud and you can request them any time; hence, in case of need, you can prove what was your car doing at a particular moment and place (it's gps tracked) for, say court situation or insurance claim. You can set all kinds of audible warnings, like speed limits, or audible info - engine overheating, battery voltage low, and such.
My favorite is use as HUD - head up display. I simply set my phone atop of dash and it reflects whatever is on the screen onto the windshield. I have speed and clock set so that it's in my left eye visual field. Comes very handy night time. I have windshields tilted, so it works almost into the bright sunlight.
I think, for 5 bucks, guy over stuffed it with features.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

This pic is from times before window tint. Hence double edge as it reflects twice, from inner and outer glass. But it's easy fix with a piece of window tint film in a right spot.

Old 08-21-14, 08:44 AM
Hi, do you have a picture of after using the tint film? And what type of tint film will you suggest?

Old 07-04-15, 02:46 PM
Check the vacuum hose to the map sensor on the intake. The rubber elbow may be cracked.

Old 07-04-15, 05:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Tye3_z44. Welcome to the forums. If you look closely, you will see that the original post is two and a half years old. I would bet it's either fixed or junked by now.

Old 07-07-15, 06:26 AM
I realize this is an old thread , but as I was reading it , it occurred to me that if his car is like my older Chevrolets , the codes clears when you disconnected the battery cables . From the old battery .

By the time he had swapped out the battery , cleaned the cables and applied some protectorant , the codes should have cleared . Might could have saved himself the $$$ for the code reader .

But , he got it going and all is well . :-)

God bless
Wyr