Ford Focus starting problem

Old 12-07-13, 02:08 PM
Ford Focus starting problem

Hello-

I have a 2005 Ford Focus SE that will not start. I had a flat about 2 weeks ago so I drove it into the garage and took the tire to get it fixed. Finally got it back on this morning and now my car won't start.

The engine turns over but only a couple of times before dying out. My battery is almost fully charged and I have a quarter tank of gas.

Could it be because I stepped on the gas pedal? This is an old habit from my old car but I read that this is a no-no with newer models. I only stepped on it once or twice. I've tried starting the car a couple of times. Once this morning where the engine only turned once. I left it alone for a couple of hours and tried again and got a good 3 cranks that time, but still no luck.

Also, could it be the cold weather? I live in Houston so no snow but it's gotten very cold the past couple of days.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
Stepping on the pedal shouldn't cause an issue as you can't flood the engine.

Does it at least try to start...... cough..... sputter, or does it crank and nothing more ?

If it's very cold possibly water frozen in the fuel line.

You're going to need to determine if you have spark so you know which way to turn.

Old 12-07-13, 02:52 PM
Hello PJmax-

That's good to know about not flooding the engine.

I don't know much about cars. I've had experiences with other cars where I get nothing, sometimes I just get clicking. All I know with this car is my lights and radio work fine, my fuel pump makes that little noise it always makes, but when I turned the key all I could hear was the engine trying to start. I guess that is a crank? It went grrr-grrr and then died to nothing so I turned the key to off. No sputters that I recall.

You think that maybe once the temps warm up I should try again then? I can wait as I do have something else to drive. I had a bad experience with another car where I kept trying to start an engine that wouldn't start and the mechanic said I ruined it by bending some pins and seizing the engine. I don't want this to happen with this car!

Thanks for the reply-

Old 12-07-13, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
If it only cranked for a short time and died then maybe the battery needs to be charged or replaced.

Old 12-07-13, 03:14 PM
I have a battery charger that I'm not too familiar with. Would you be kind enough to answer a couple of questions?

When I connected it to my car the needle on the charger was on 4 and over the course of 30 minutes it went up to 2. I figure that this meant that my battery had a good charge and that the battery was probably not the problem. Is the needle suppose to go the other way- to the large numbers? There is a red triangle on the right side of the charger panel that has the word "start" on it. Do I need to leave the charger connected till the needle reaches that triangle? I tried to find the info on youtube but all I could find was stuff with digital readouts.

I really hope it is the battery cause I can do that myself!

Old 12-07-13, 05:09 PM
Ahm, why don't you clean what I suggested to clean?
Unless someone here has exactly same charger, be prepared for guesswork on your question. There are gazillion chargers out there and yours actually sounds like a kind that slowly restores battery power before you crank the engine with key. SO maybe at least shoot a pic of that thing, or name and number you see on it?

Old 12-07-13, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Did I miss something here ukrbyk !?!?!?!?!

That sounds like a slow charger. As the battery charges the gauge should go to a lower number. It was 4(amps) when you connected it and now it's down to 2(amps)

Leave it on charge until tomorrow and then try it again.

Old 12-07-13, 05:56 PM
I believe that was a different thread.

Old 12-10-13, 04:25 AM
Hi PJmax-

I'm just coming back to say THANK YOU!!! It turns out that the little red triangle was what the needle was on and that my battery did need charging after all. Now all I need to do is scrape together some money for a new battery. I am very grateful for your help.

Have a great day!

Old 12-10-13, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
Would have been about the right timeframe for a worn out battery; 8-9 years would make it end of life on probably second or third battery since new. Just helped a customer swap out a battery last week and was shocked at prices on batteries right now.

Old 12-10-13, 07:15 AM
Group Moderator
You're welcome

Unfortunately most of the batteries are coming from off shore and have hit an all time low in quality at a premium price.

Old 12-10-13, 07:30 AM
Just helped a customer swap out a battery last week and was shocked at prices on batteries right now.
I just replaced a battery back in July and I was also shocked. It seems all batteries are around $20 higher than they were just 3 years ago.

Search this Thread