Oil Change Question

Old 12-08-13, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Question

We're getting ready to hook up the ol' 5th wheel and head to Florida for the next three months. Our car will be sitting in the garage for that time unused. This is a question I've got various answers for but thought I would throw it out here. The car is due for an oil change, actually a little over due. Is it best to wait and change it in the spring when we get back or should we get the dirty oil out and leave it sitting with fresh oil? And yes, for you really, really old guys who used change oil without new filter every other time (or was it the other way around), I never change oil without changing a filter, even though I'm one of those really, really old guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-13, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't think it will make a darned bit off difference either way. If you think you might forget when you come back, do it now.

Old 12-08-13, 04:20 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I'm a really old guy (69) and I wouldn't want old oil sitting in my engine for months.
Old oil has acids and chemicals in it from wear/tear and the combustion process.
TBN ( Total Base Number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) goes down as oil wears & ages and to leave it sitting in a crankcase over winter so some condensation can be added to the mix is next to inexcusable. Just my $0.02

Old 12-08-13, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best and safest answer is to suggest that you change the oil now for the reasons already mentioned. That said, how long has the oil been in your car and how many miles have you driven. Do you still change oil at 3000 miles, or do you go to 5000 as most companies now support. When you say it is due for a change that depends on what criteria you decide that, along with the kind of driving you do and the type of oil that is in it. If it is a GM product has the Oil Life System light come on? If not a GM, or if no OLS light is on, are you driving with synthetic oil? All of these situations can help determine whether changing oil now is a 'must' or just a good thing to do but not completely necessary if you want to avoid the $40 or $50 charge from a lube shop now, or the few minutes it would take you to do it yourself. If you use low cost bulk oil from a quick lube shop and have already driven 5000 miles then in my opinion you should avoid any potential issues by changing it now.

Old 12-08-13, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Now.

Old 12-08-13, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
I say change it... I agree with 2 granddaughters post....

Old 12-08-13, 10:10 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Why? Ain't no good reason to change that oil except maybe sleep a bit better. New oil will not go bad in 3 months, and old will not either. By me, total waste of effort NOW.
Oh, and btw, I am the type that keeps OIL but changes FILTER, as I run long range synthetics, and they require filter change somewhere mid oil life way.
If you really want to feel better about this, buy cheapo oil filter, replace it, and drive on it maybe 15 miles before you park your vehicles. Just to get bad things into it and out of oil. Then change both oil and filer after return.
What you should do, is
1. raise your car and set it on some sort of jacks so that tires are off loaded completely
2. have someone come over and crank engine once a month, without starting, to keep it lubricated
3. pull plugs out and pour some oil into pistons, disable ignition, and give engine a crank
4. add fuel stabilizer to petrol
5. set battery tender

Old 12-08-13, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
Old oil has acids and chemicals in it from wear/tear and the combustion process.
Geez ukrbyk your a mechanic no? I know the effects of oil and water retention from owning Harleys, and you can say old oil is better then new???

Wow. $20 bucks for an oil change... Just do it... IMO one would be a fool not to....

Just cant understand that resoning... Maybe just me though....

Old 12-09-13, 06:56 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
No, Lawrosa, it's not just you .....

Old 12-09-13, 07:57 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Change it now ..................