battery lights on

Old 12-09-13, 06:12 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question battery lights on

I recently had an alternator and a new battery installed on my 2003 Ford Taurus , and now battery light stays on. Can anyone tell me what may be causing this . The alternator is charging at 14

Old 12-09-13, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Check the voltage across the cable clamps as well as the battery posts. The clamps may not have been cleaned properly.

Old 12-09-13, 06:56 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
when it comes to ford after market alt. there are a lot of duds. for some reason the after market has not got a good handle on the light canceling part of the alt. yes it will charge normal but the darn light stays on. try another alt.

Old 12-09-13, 08:10 PM
Received 63 Upvotes on 54 Posts
iceman reminded me of my Ford adventure. I had THREE alternators in one night installed on my then Taurus. 2 outta da box were bad.

Old 12-10-13, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
What the others have said. I have a 01 Mazda Tribute (basically a Ford Escape), same issue. My shop said the only sure way is to replace with a new Ford alternator, no re-builds or aftermarket. Of course the Ford part is some $325 vs just over $150 for aftermarket. Light has been on most of the time (sometimes it doesn't come on) for 3 yrs. Replaced battery 2 yrs ago when it wet bad, but it still charges and starts fine. I'm not paying $500 to keep a light off on a 13 y/o vehicle.

Old 12-10-13, 04:39 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I thought the light only indicated low voltage. If an alternator is charging properly and the battery is good or new, why shouldn't the light go out?

Old 12-10-13, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Joe...
It's all computers. Looking at my available diagrams, appears the light is controlled by a module. I'd guess with a few drops below spec it turns the light on til it runs a certain time within spec. Who knows what their spec is?

Old 12-10-13, 07:10 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Gunguy45, Chandler
3 years, so maybe it wont affect my driving, at least I'm hoping .I had the cables post checked.. auto zone said to have fuse checked, but I have no way of knowing which fuse it would be. As a female I must say though, that battery light really makes me nervous. Ill try everyone else's suggestion , and if there's any more , ill be happy to take it.
Thx everyone

Old 12-11-13, 05:42 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Joe...
It's all computers. Looking at my available diagrams, appears the light is controlled by a module. I'd guess with a few drops below spec it turns the light on til it runs a certain time within spec. Who knows what their spec is?
I suppose you are right. I haven't had many charging problems with Ford alternators. The last one I changed was about 7 years ago and that was only because I figured it was due to go out as the F-150 had 140,000 miles on it and still had the original alternator. I have found over the years, however, it is never wise to buy a 1 year guaranteed rebuilt alternator when for just a few more dollars I could buy a lifetime warranted fully remanufactured alternator. One remanufacturer in particular I have had good luck with, the former Delco Remy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: