99 Lexus rx 300 feels like it loses momentum after accelerating

Old 12-17-13, 08:39 PM
99 Lexus rx 300 feels like it loses momentum after accelerating

We have a high mileage Lexus that seems to lose its momentum quickly after accelerating and coasting it, almost feels like it slows down a little. I've done a ton of maintenance such as a new battery, new starter, new variable valve timing sensor, every fluid, brakes rotors tires, etc. Not ready to pay a mechanic to not figure it out yet. Any thoughts of where to start my trouble shooting? Vehicle doesn't really have any actual issues to point out otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-13, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
Codes? If you haven't had it read for codes, that's step #1.

Old 12-18-13, 07:06 AM
Familiar. We also have one, with 150 000 miles on it.
Watch tachometer needle as you accelerate. Does it stay in high RPMs? Around 3000 - 34000?
Also, try counting transmission jerks, as it shifts from get go.
I bet your trannie does not want to shift out of 2nd.
Ours won't start shifting out of 2nd until in about 0.5 mile of driving on cold engine. After warm up, it all works fine through the day. But symptoms are exactly same - like someone grabbed the car and holds it.
Also, make sure your SNOW mode is not engaged. That'll do it too.
The only fix I found so far is changinf ATF once a year. That helps for about 6 months, then it goes back to same issue - cold start, take off - won't shift out of 2nd until in about half mile, then it all works fine. But while in that mode - let go off gas pedal, and it virtually nose dives.

Old 12-18-13, 08:00 PM
No check engine light is on. Could there be a code to read without a light on? Snow mode definitely is not on as its been snowy here lately and we do use that mode s necessary. I'll have to check on the rpms and follow up.

Old 12-19-13, 07:29 AM
Mine does not throw any code either.
Change transmission fluid, no big effort and expense. I started routinely adding Lucas transmission additive, and it appears to help too. Also, before ATF change, pour can of Transtune in and drive for about 500 miles, then drain and refill.
We simply live with this. Wife knows no difference, I drive her seldom and sort of got used to it. Sweet car as soon as she gets past that initial cold period.