'90 Grand Voyager - no heat inside...

Old 12-26-13, 06:47 AM
'90 Grand Voyager - no heat inside...

My son has been driving my 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager (SE, 3.3 v-6, 4-speed auto, front and rear climate control, 200k+ miles) for a few months. It has quit making heat in the passenger compartment. I've replaced the hot water control valve on the firewall and verified that there is flow through the heater core. Yhe fan works, and when heat is selected on the control panel, I can hear doors moving and a difference in the airflow. What am I missing? It's pretty cold here right now (not like Canada, but...), and I'm sure he would appreciate it if I could make his ride a little more comfortable. Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-13, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When was the last time the thermostat was replaced? If it is stuck in the open position, the coolant will not warm enough to heat the interior.

Old 12-26-13, 09:41 AM
Thanks, goldstar/Woody. I've been trying to remember whether or not I replaced the 'stat when I had the heads off, and I'm leaning towards not. Just recently had to replace the one in my truck, but because it was stuck SHUT. He's supposed to be over sometime today, and the thermostat is right out in the open. Let you know what we find... Chris

Old 12-26-13, 06:37 PM
Making heat in passenger compartment - as in entire vehicle inside, or only for the rear seats? As you have front and rear climate controls.
If front works and rear is not - then you may discard everything in front of your knees forward. I think, some cars have 2nd heater core for rear seats, and liones get air locked, or small core clogs.
But if you meant entire salon has no heat - then it's either air plug somewhere, or t-stat stuck open.
As interim measure, place full size cardboard shield in front of radiator, that should reduce air flow cooling of it and warm things up a bit.

Old 12-27-13, 03:58 AM
I had a similar complaint from a friend a few years ago in her 98 Explorer. I really expected it to be a t-stat job. She brought it over and the dash temp gauge was reading middle of the range warm, but the air coming out of the vents was cold as can be.

Long story short: the mixer flap door in the heater box was broken. The proper repair required the dashboard to be removed and the heat box to be removed to repair the attachment point. After a little googling, I found a repair kit at Napa for $30 and did an effective but ugly repair using my Dremel tool to cut a hole in the bottom of the heater box to install a new door and reattached with black tape to hide the repair. The job was gratis and she was happy enough with it. I wasn't going to pull the dash and she couldn't afford to take it to someone who would.

Hopefully your van is the t-stat.

Old 12-30-13, 05:54 AM
Thanks guys. The day he came over, my son drove my ex-wife's car, so I didn't get to look at the van. But, yes, front and rear air - two heater cores, evaporators and sets of controls. Heat nowhere in the cabin. This van has been somewhat beset with cooling issues through its existence. First, the plastic-tanked radiator (ugh! who dreamed this up?) cracked. Then the cooling fan quit running (control issue). Then the head gaskets went away. I would love to have the van out from under him for a while, and the free time to do nothing but go through the van front to back and fix all the little issues. It's not going to happen that way, though. Oh, well. Next time I get my hands on it, I'll update this post if it hasn't disappeared. Thanks again for the help - Chris