2004 ford explorer

Old 01-01-14, 09:22 AM
2004 ford explorer

2004 ford explorer will not jump start. died while idling. Battery is ok lights come on

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-14, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Are you sure the battery is ok? sometimes a bad battery won't jump off like it should. Do the lights stay bright if you turn the key to start?

Old 01-01-14, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
A little more detail is needed. Bad battery will cause an issue trying to jump start as stated...but the fact that it died while running would point me to the alternator.

Old 01-01-14, 01:06 PM
Diagnostic flowchart for a car that won't start or stalls - Troubleshooting for the starter, spark failure and the fuel pump

Should still jumpstart from a known good battery or another car with revved engine.
OP, how did you try to jump?
How good are cables you tried to jump with?
Lights on means squat.
Corrode jumper cables will not jump.
When jumping, make sure you have positive cable on positive battery clamp and negative on a good engine ground. Not sure about Fords, GM has special lip on engines with NEG stamped onto it.
If it jumps and dies then alternator is not providing enough power supply and battery is drained anyway.

Old 01-01-14, 01:09 PM
When you say it won't jump start do you mean it rolls over and won't start ... or it won't roll over when you turn the key

Old 01-01-14, 04:06 PM
2004 ford explorer

new battery was installed . still wouldn't start or jump start . jump starting was with a F250 Diesel pickup. no corriosion on cables. while attaching jumper cables had driver to turn on interior light to insure good connection

Old 01-01-14, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What does it do when you turn the switch key?

Old 01-01-14, 04:14 PM
there is a click but not sure where its coming from . sounds like its coming from under hood.

Old 01-01-14, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's probably the solenoid. Check/clean the connections at the battery, the solenoid and the starter. I'm not sure if you have a solenoid on the fender well or if it's attached to the starter - just follow the cables and disconnect, clean and reconnect them.

Old 01-01-14, 04:36 PM
don't think starter would cause car to cut off while idiling

Old 01-01-14, 08:13 PM
cnman, this is why I asked, HOW did you jump. Not What have you jumped FROM. If you jumped like all do, battery to battery, you have battery and battery cables in play. If you jump positive to positive and then negative on a donor car battery to negative ON THE BODY or ENGINE, you are bypassing YOUR car battery and negative cable along with possible issues on that run.

What is it with everyone believing that if you have "cabin lights" then battery is good and connection is good? We have 3rd in a row no start thread, and everyone keeps judging based on those lights.

Out of pure interest, but new jumpers at Walmart, save receipt, and then return them. I still don't know if your cables are good. Jumper cables. I had several sets that went bad, due to cheap make, and I kept tossing $$ at cars, instead of doing just that.
Also, try jumping STARTER directly. Did you even read link I sent you? That's your holy mantra, no one can really help you over the internet. Flowchart can.
So, if it starts, then problem is somewhere between negaive cable pole and starter relay/switch.

Old 01-02-14, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
don't think starter would cause car to cut off while idiling
No it wouldn't but you may have more than one issue. When all you get is a click when you turn the key that indicates either a weak battery or a bad connection. If you have a new fully charged battery, then there has to be a connection problem somewhere along the way.

Old 01-02-14, 12:43 PM
2004 explorer

Thanks for the replies but cant do anything right now. Explorer is in Tenn. iam in N.C , THE reply that came from tenn. what part of Tenn. the vehicle when in I left it sunday was at the sonic in Kingston Tenn. Ido think there are other issues. Transmission indicator on dash does not read right check engine light was on . when I tried to jump it off Iused my 2000 F250 diesel , jumper cables Iam pretty sure are good they are pretty heavy duty heaverthan most I have seen. when I say interior light come on Iuse that as an indicator to test by wiggling the cable ends to see if it turns brighter. my daughter in-law grandfather and father are trying to take starter off.