2007 Subaru Forester squealing belt

Old 01-04-14, 06:47 AM
2007 Subaru Forester squealing belt

Hello, when it is moderately to very cold my Forester's belt will squeal very loudly, lights dim heater bogs down and lose rpms very quickly. I just turn heat off and step on gas until squealing stops and everything returns to normal. This happens while I am driving and have to let off gas pedal for some reason. Could it be altenator or battery or what? Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-14, 06:57 AM
Something is binding along belt run.
1. my 1st guess is, your a/c compressor is always on; reason being, the way they make them nowadays, a/c comes on in defrost/defog/windshield setting per default; on my Ridgeline, a/c comes on no matter what the setting is; it's some sort of a/c fixation with Japanese makes, no idea why. So, make sure a/c it turned off
2. lights dim, as rpms go down, and alternator does not provide enough output
3. your belt is likely stretched and needs to be replaced, or belt tensioner is not doing its job
4. a/c compressor, back to it, is the highest friction/torque requirement device out of all propelled by belt.
Otherwise, your engine is under performing for some reason. Does not provide enough whoomp to run everything.
Your step #1 should be replacing belt. Assuming it's serpentine one, it's 15 minute job and cost about 30-50 bucks. But make sure you have a/c disengaged when you start engine.
Likely, your a/c compressor is headed south.

Old 01-04-14, 07:15 AM
a/c comes on no matter what the setting is; it's some sort of a/c fixation with Japanese makes, no idea why
The A-C comes on to dehumidify the air to the windshield when in defrost mode on most domestics. I have found this helps when the car is cold and your breath starts to fog up the windshield as you drive and the engine is not warm enough to produce warm air in defrost mode. It also helps in cool rainy weather with several people in the car and the windows start fogging. I used to disconnect the A-C compressor in the winter to prevent it from running because I figured it was hurting my mileage. Years ago when many cars had no A-C, just the engine heat for defrost seemed to work fine. Today I no longer worry about it. Not sure what the Japanese manufacturer's do.

Old 01-04-14, 08:18 AM
Thanks ukrbyk, You suggest getting new belt and go from there, I will try this.

Old 01-04-14, 04:44 PM
Domestics picked on that a/c always on feature after Japanese came up with it. Must have been some lawyers from Honda issue, as they it had this implemented way back time ago. But it was defrost setting only. Now, no matter what happens, a/c comes on.
I well know why, but like CJ said - IT HURTS MILEAGE AND STEALS HORSE POWER. And most folks don't even realize that, and keep complaining on chitty mpg in their cars.
Even worse, on modern Japanese makes, you can't truly even turn damn thing off, as what happens, if you have it on auto, it will warm up cabin to say 75, but then, later, as body or sun heat warms inside more, it will start cooling inside, no matter what your desire on a/c was. And it will NOT tell a/c comes up. No l;ights, nothing, but if you have good ear, you can hear that clutch kicking in.
That's what I like about old cars. Simple climate system. Large knobs. No over smart computers knowing better, programmed by lawyers.

Old 01-17-14, 10:53 AM
i respectfully disagree that the use of a/c in modern cars really has an effect on MPG. and if you drive anything other than a subcompact, you would probably never notice power loss either.

Old 01-17-14, 01:18 PM
Check to see if any of the idler or tensioner pulleys are squeeking .

Change the belt as has been suggested .

Check and see if any of the pulleys have a " glaze " on them .

If you think it is the A/C compressor , see if there is a wire going to the clutch . See if that changes anything ?

Look for anything that would make the belt / pulleys slip .

God bless
Wyr

Old 01-17-14, 04:49 PM
Domestics picked on that a/c always on feature after Japanese came up with it.
Years ago on my 1980 Ford Thunderbird the a-c would run when in defrost mode so I disconnected the wiring to the compressor in the winter, it had a manual climate control. On my 2008 Ford Taurus with automatic climate control, the a-c compressor would occasionally come on in cool weather to amintain the setpoint till I would manually turn the a-c off and let the outside air do the cooling. On the Taurus I could feel the load of the compressor on the V-6 engine.