How to match touch-up Paint-color?

Old 01-10-14, 05:46 AM
How to match touch-up Paint-color?

Hello:
Vibe/Pontiac 2008

I got an exact paint-color/touch-up paint, ... 'navy-blue' from the dealer, because the birds-poop which caused to 'rust' on several, tiny areas on the hood.

When I did apply the touch-up paint by using tiny brush, the color is promintently different, from darker-navy-blue/2008 to bright-colored-navy-blue/bought from the dealer a week ago. I figured this out,.... it's because of the age-difference, the color of Vibe is already three to four years old, however I don't know how to match its color.

My question is;
Is there a way to match its color?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-14, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably not with a touch up bottle. When mixing paint to be sprayed you can alter the color some so it will better match the faded paint but it's next to impossible to tint new paint to match a faded paint job.

You did buy touch up paint for your model year, right? Sometimes color formulas get changed but it should still state on the label which years it's a match for.

Is it a metallic color? If the paint isn't mixed/shook up well the color won't be true. A hood is probably the hardest part of a car to get a nice touch up. Depending on how bad it is, I'd consider repainting the entire hood.

Old 01-10-14, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Some body shops/automotive paint stores will custom mix based on the faded condition of the paint. I had the same issue on the hood of my car where there were 2 cat scratches (she didn't know I had waxed it and started to slide off) and the factory touch up paint wasn't even close...much more silver than blue.

A body shop or auto paint supplier would be your best resource...but they normally only do quarts minimum...which will probably run $40-50.

I'd just deal with it.

Old 01-10-14, 07:09 PM
Instead of trying to mess it up with touch paint, you should have wet sanded it and buffed. There is no touch up paint applied by brush that will not show. When painters do color match, they cover large area and light spray its edges, so it flows into original paint.
What you did will always show. Hopefully, it's only superficial fix you did. Let it dry, and go back to sanding. Which is art in itself, but should give better results.

Search this Thread