will a torque converter do this?

Old 01-13-14, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
will a torque converter do this?

Hello everyone,
This is more of a theory question but here goes:
If the only thing changed on a car is the torque converter for a slightly 'higher stall converter', will that not effectively raise the rpms at which the converter starts to 'lock up' and give you higher off the line rpms? This is in general every day driving, not any racing type situation.
I know that isn't alot to go on and that is on purpose. It is a pretty general question with what I think is a pretty simple answer.

Old 01-13-14, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Simple answer...yes. It will also decrease your gas mileage.

Old 01-13-14, 02:26 PM
[sigh] thank you. I thought so but for some reason I am in the middle of a big disagreement , some people telling me I would not be able to tell a difference at all.

If there are any differing opinions I'm open minded but I'll consider this case closed unless anyone needs a discussion
Thanks!!

Old 01-13-14, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
That's why racers use high stall converters...it allows the motor to get into it's power range at launch and "shock" the drivetrain to get a good hook.

Now remember....I'm talking about a difference between maybe 1000-1200 rpm and 3500 rpm.

I believe newer vehicles also use electronic lock up based on engine and vehicle speed.

Old 01-13-14, 02:51 PM
yes, again agree....and I will keep it still pretty vague in case anyone has a differing opinion but what I am discussing is a non lock up TH350 going from stock stall to around a 2100-2300 stall, not concerned about mileage loss, added heat taken into account, cruise rpm above rated stall and only looking for seat of the pants better feeling off the line / harder launch from a stop sign.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: