New car carpets soaked no signs of where water came from

Old 01-17-14, 01:29 PM
New car carpets soaked no signs of where water came from

Hello all,

I just bought a 2013 Civic EX. Picked it up on Tuesday. Yesterday dealership had it for 3 hours to install a cargo net/hook. This morning I noticed that there is frost on the INSIDE of my front and back windshield. I've never had that happen before. All windows/moon roof were closed. I turned on the heater and the frost turned into water so I had to wipe it up with paper towels on both front and back.

After work I noticed my carpets were wet UNDER the floot mats. On top of the floor mats are not wet. The doors are not wet. The seats are not wet. This leads me to believe that the water/moisture did not get in through the windows but through the floor somehow. I used a few bath towels to absorb much of the water and now the car is idling in my driveway with the heat on max and the windows cracked open. We've had some light rains in my area but no flooding. We also had a lot of fog the other day.

Any idea on what the problem is? Should I call the service department or the car salesman? Do I report this to insurance?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-14, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
I would guess a service person drove/moved the car with dirty feet and they shampooed the carpet to get it clean. The surface of the carpet dries relatively quickly but down in the backing can take days. If you have a garage I would leave the car parked with the windows down so the moisture can escape.

Old 01-17-14, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure. The floor mats were in the car when I gave the car to them. They definitely didn't wash the floor mats and I don't see any dirt on them except some particles that were on the driver side before I gave them the car. They had a temporary floor mat in place in the driver side to prevent the car's floor mat from being dirty.

Old 01-17-14, 05:01 PM
Wet carpets usually indicate either a leaking heater core or leaking windshield. Has the car been in the rain the last couple of days?

Old 01-17-14, 05:03 PM
Condensate from A/C or defrost ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 01-17-14, 05:09 PM
I have not been using A/C since its Winter and cold. I have used the front and rear defrost options but no idea how that could make only my carpet wet and nothing else even floor mats not wet on top.

Old 01-17-14, 05:12 PM
Yes the car has been in the rain and fog but I have not seen any evidence of a leak at the windshield or elsewhere. Only clues are the wet carpet (nothing else wet) and the front and back windshield both being frosted inside of the car.

I've gotten much of the dampness reduced. Keep throwing towels in the dryer and going back from time to time to put pressure on the carpet. I think a lot has been dried. Car has been running with the heat on as well to aid in the drying process.

Old 01-17-14, 05:24 PM
Just checked on it again bath towel is still absorbing water when i put pressure on certain spots. What a pain this has been...

Old 01-17-14, 05:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would be headed right back to the dealer. Let them figure it out and correct the problem before mold starts to form. Start with the service desk and work your way up the chain - if necessary.

Old 01-17-14, 05:48 PM
definitely get it to the dealer ASAP.

Old 01-17-14, 05:58 PM
Yeah I will take it tomorrow morning. The car has like 70 miles on it.

Old 01-17-14, 07:07 PM
Yes the car has been in the rain and fog but I have not seen any evidence of a leak at the windshield or elsewhere. Only clues are the wet carpet (nothing else wet) and the front and back windshield both being frosted inside of the car.
By all means, get it back to the dealer. The wet carpet is the evidence you are looking for. It's probably a leaking windshield, but let the dealer figure it out. And, let us know what they eventually find.

Old 01-17-14, 07:53 PM
with most cars today you would never see where the water is coming in at with all the panels and moldings. if something didn't get sealed right or is missing a grommet water will find a way in. the best way the dealer will find it, will be taking the inside apart and putting a water hose on it to see where it enters.

Old 01-18-14, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, take it back to the dealer! you shouldn't have to deal with this on a brand new car, let them figure it out, make them give you a loaner if it's going to take any time. Years ago my wife had a new Merc Mystique that leaked during a driving rain. There was faulty caulking in or near the door. In less than a year all 4 doors leaked, of course the dealer only fixed one at a time

Old 01-18-14, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Definitely take it to the dealer. It is not your problem to figure out why your brand new car is leaking.

Old 01-18-14, 06:23 AM
They are not giving me an appointment until Monday. They service guy does not seem to be taking this seriously. He said maybe they shampoo'd the carpet (on a brand new car?). I said what if it starts molding up he said the carpets are mold treated...

Old 01-18-14, 06:30 AM
They are not giving me an appointment until Monday. They service guy does not seem to be taking this seriously. He said maybe they shampoo'd the carpet (on a brand new car?). I said what if it starts molding up he said the carpets are mold treated...
I would say this is a serious issue since you just made a substantial investment in both the car and the dealership's integrity when you chose them as your dealer. Maybe you need to have a conversation with either the president of the organization or the owner. Regardless of any mold treatments at the factory, new carpets that are soaked with water when new will never be the same again. Maybe you should insist the carpet be replaced after they find and fix the problem. I'd bet the salesman could arrange that meeting.

Old 01-18-14, 06:34 AM
Yeah I just spoke to my original salesman and told him the service desk is not taking this seriously and that I'm getting really mad about it. I explained everything that happened and he said he is going to talk to his manager about it and get back to me on getting this squared away.

Old 01-18-14, 08:43 AM
They maybe playing games with me now. I keep being told I will be called back but am never called back. Perhaps they are hoping to stall me until the day is over so I have to wait until Monday to come in.

Old 01-18-14, 10:47 AM
Have you tried calling the owner of the dealership yet? In your owner's manual there should be a procedure for contacting the district/regional offices for Honda with a complaint. And don't forget, there is also the BBB, but that would take too long to get action unless you want to drive the car only in nice weather.

Old 01-18-14, 10:59 AM
I checked my books and did not see information about contacting Honda regional offices. I did see a lemon law book but that wasn't the same thing.

I found a number to contact Honda here but they are only open on weekdays:
Customer Service - Official Honda Web Site

I think the owner of the dealership is *****. On their website there are some general managers but I have not been able to reach them. Not sure how to contact the owner directly.

Right now all my doors are open and its pretty windy outside so I'm hoping it will help. The front seat carpets seem dry now. I cannot feel water even when I force pressure on it. The back sear carpets are still wet.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-18-14 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Removed name
Old 01-18-14, 08:02 PM
the carpets are mold treated...
i think he's feeding you BS

Old 01-18-14, 08:11 PM
When I drop it off Monday should I give them a chance to make it right or should I just say off the bat I want them to replace the carpet and insulation? By Monday it will be almost dry so they will probably resist strongly...

Old 01-18-14, 08:15 PM
being polite but firm will get you a lot further in getting the issue resolved. having said that, if you have had the carpets soaked consistently for an extended period, i don't think its unreasonable to ask them to replace the carpet and padding. remind them this is a brand new vehicle and you don't want to deal with any potential for mold. see where that gets you.

Old 01-18-14, 08:16 PM
Thanks that is how I usually do things so I will let you know how it goes.

Old 01-19-14, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
Just make sure it's all documented on the repair order and keep your copy in a safe place for later reference; that will avoid an argument about what was or was not said later.

Is there a local media outlet (TV/Newspaper) with a consumer advocate type person in case you get the runaround Monday?

Old 01-19-14, 08:35 AM
Sure hope you get your water issue resolved! This car would be under warranty (2013?) and your dealer should already know that.

Old 01-19-14, 09:11 AM
Yes I haven't had it more than a week yet its still under warranty.

The other thing I wanted to ask is if anyone knows if there are any wires running under the carpet? Only the lowest level of the carpet appears wet. Would wiring be damaged in such a situation? I am concerned that wires maybe corroded and I'll start having strange electrical problems after the warranty is over.

Also, is it possible for rust to occur in the body after 5 days of the carpet being wet?

I checked the car again today and the carpet was a little crunchy so some water that is left has frozen.

Old 01-19-14, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
I wouldn't worry too much. They can't just ignore this and pretend everything's Okey dokey! :NO NO NO: You have the law on your side and there are lemon law lawyers around.

Old 01-19-14, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am concerned that wires maybe corroded and I'll start having strange electrical problems after the warranty is over
The wires are insulated and it's not likely there would be any connections under the carpet but it would still be a good idea to remove the carpet and inspect. That would also help everything dry out better. As long as the metal was coated with paint it shouldn't rust in a short period but it can if it stays damp for an extended time.

Old 01-20-14, 05:45 AM
I dropped the car off this morning. The person who I happened to talk to was the service director. He said they will have the car for 3-4 days taking the carseats out, pulling the carpet, cleaning and drying the floor and trying to determine the leak. He said they will install the old carpet back and when they've determined that there is no more leak I have to go back and they will pull everything out again replace the carpet (could be 30 days depending on how many rains we get he said). I'm glad that they plan to replace the carpet (eventually) but I'm not happy that I have to go back again and waste who knows how much more time. I guess the value of a carpet is worth more to them than wasting my time and the wear and tear on my vehicle by removing everything again. He also said he couldn't promise my car wouldn't get scratched when they remove everything. The service departments attitude has been indifferent at best. Not really happy with them. They didn't offer me a loaner and when I asked for it they said the people that do loaners aren't around until later so I don't even have a vehicle at the moment.

On the bright side at least I have you guys to help me. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Old 01-20-14, 07:33 AM
How many miles were on your Civic when you bought it ?

I'd be firm with the dealership, not ignorant but firm.
Tell them you appreciate their efforts in finding a solution to the water leak but that you are not uncomfortable with taking unresolved issues to the District Service Manager if necessary.
If they say that they may scratch your car during service tell them you fully understand how that could happen.... but you expect them to fix the scratches before delivering it back to you.
If the dealership advertises loaners for overnight service work that you would like to have that extended to you, some do, some don't.
Let them know (if necessary) that their actions in this matter will definitely affect your future purchases of Honda product... that you will let your friends/family/internet community know how you were treated and will call Honda Customer Service if you feel you were treated unfairly.

It is up to you to be a good customer (working with the dealership to get your problem resolved in a friendly, mature, informed and efficient manner) and it is up to them to get your issue fully resolved in a professional, timely manner.

Good luck

Old 01-20-14, 07:37 AM
The car has about 30 miles on it. They got it transferred from another dealership which may have added some of those miles when they drove it over.

Yes they do advertise the loaners.

Its not my style to be ignorant with people. I really loathe getting into confrontations with people so I try to be nice. They never return my calls though except for my original car salesman.

Old 01-20-14, 12:37 PM
I finally got a call back from someone other than my car salesman. The general manager of the dealership got involved personally and apologized to me for having such a hassle. I had also called corporate but I just called corporate to hold off on talking to the dealership so I can give the general manager a chance. Hopefully things get smoother from here on out. Thanks all.

Old 01-21-14, 10:59 AM
He also said he couldn't promise my car wouldn't get scratched when they remove everything.
everything sounded good until i read this. why on earth they would say something like that i have no idea. like someone else said, if they do scratch it, then they're fixing it before they give it back to you.

Old 01-21-14, 11:48 AM
The general manager said if they damage anything they would fix it. They called me today they still have no idea how it got wet. They contacted Honda to see if its happening to other cars.

Last edited by ipman; 01-21-14 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 05:01 PM
He also said he couldn't promise my car wouldn't get scratched when they remove everything. The service departments attitude has been indifferent at best. Not really happy with them.
I hope you made it clear to the General Manager exactly what the Service Director said to you and expressed your true feelings about their Service Department to him.

Old 01-21-14, 05:03 PM
Oh I told him everything. We'll see what happens. I don't know if I feel comfortable taking the car back if they can't reproduce the problem though.

Old 01-22-14, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
The general manager of the dealership got involved...
Well, they beat me to the punch. My next suggestion was going to be to call/visit the GM. I, too, loved the remark about scratches. Wonder how long I would be in business if I said that to one of my towing clients/customers .

I am more than a little surprised by the gross lack of customer service at your dealership, given the competitive nature of car sales these days. The 400+ "views" this thread has to date may already have some buyers going, "Hmmmmm".

FWIW unless it's a warranty issue, there's no need to go to the dealership; you can get all your other out-of-pocket routine maintenance done at any good full-service independent garage.

Old 01-24-14, 09:48 AM
The dealership called me and said they found that the windshield was leaking under pressure. They said they took it to a carwash. They ordered replacement seals for the window and I believe a professional glass company will replace the windshield. They said the car might be ready by Tuesday and that after a few months if there is no more leak they will replace the carpet for me.