ABS and traction control trouble lights on dash 2001 Chevy Cavalier

Old 01-25-14, 09:31 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ABS and traction control trouble lights on dash 2001 Chevy Cavalier

I am having issues with my Cavaliers ABS system. It all started last week when the lights just came on. Its cold and snowy here and there was a large built up of snow and ice by the tires. I kicked it off and sure enough the lights turned off. They stayed off for a day or so and then while I was driving the next day, going to accelerate all the lights came back on again and I had no ABS or traction control.

I got a friend to use a code scanner that reads ABS codes and got these three codes

C1222....... RF Wheel Speed Sensor Input = 0
C1226....... Right Front Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
C1233.......RF Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Open or Shorted

So it points to the passenger front wheel speed sensor as the culprit. I jacked up the car to have a look at the wiring for the sensor. Nothing seemed out of place and I didn't see any broken or chafed wires and the connection seemed fine to me. I took the sensor out and gave it a good cleaning as it was pretty gunked up. Thinking that for sure was the problem I cleaned it with a wire brush and hooked it back up. The trouble lights didn't come on at first but then I started driving and boom back on again. So now I figured its a bad sensor. I go and pick up a replacement one and put it in. Lights still come on and ABS and traction still don't work.

Yesterday we had a bit of a warmer day and I noticed it was acting more intermittently when the lights would come on after the car has been turned off. I would go to start it with the lights off, drive for a bit and then the lights would come on moments later with one of a few things would happen. They would come on when I turned the wheels, come on when I hit a small bump or dip in the road, come on when I would use the ABS by hitting the breaks on ice or when the tires would spin activating the traction control, or just come on their own without really doing anything. Sometimes the ABS would just come on its own without me hitting the breaks and I can feel the break pedal and steering wheel vibrating and hear the ABS working. So the ABS and traction control itself still operate when the lights aren't on but as soon as they come on, they're in-operatinal.

So it could be a wiring issue but like I said I couldn't see anything physically wrong with the wires going to the sensor from what I could see. The main thing is it acts more intermittently on a warmer day, with the lights not staying on at first when I start the car and then go on with one of the various things I mentioned above. On colder days the lights just come on right away when I start the car. I tried resetting the computer by unplugging the battery for 10 minutes. The lights were off when I started the car but then I turned the wheels in park and they came on. Hope someone is familiar with this issue and can point me in some sorta direction. I've tried a lot of the basic trouble shooting stuff and even replaced the sensor and nothing works.

Old 01-25-14, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When the ABS light is on..... the ABS system is completely disabled.

It sounds like a broken wire. The easiest way to find it is to disconnect the wheel sensor and connect a voltmeter/ohmmeter to the plug. While watching the meter you can wiggle the wire and watch for changes. The key may have to be on to get a DC voltage reading.

You may also be able to use the ohms selection but test only with the key off when in ohms mode on the meter.

Old 01-25-14, 04:47 PM
Received 63 Upvotes on 54 Posts
Pull ABS fuse and ECM fuse out overnight. See what happens.

Old 01-27-14, 09:26 AM
U
I will try these things thanks!

Old 01-28-14, 03:34 AM
W
I have a car that was in storage , on a farm for 10 - 15 years . Field mice got to some of the wiring . ABS lite was one of the issues . I found the cable to the RF ABS wheel sensor , chewed in two .

The cable looked like a vacuum hose , up inside the engine compartment . I spliced it back together & covered the splice with heat shrink . ABS lite went off .

The cable plugs into the sensor ? Check both the male and female halves of the connector for corrosion . Then follow the cable as far back , to the source , as you can , looking for problema .

God bless
Wyr

Old 02-09-14, 08:52 AM
U
My problem has been fixed. It was a broken wire right before the sensor underneath the plastic covering that I didn't see before. I tried using a volt meter but it didn't seem to register that there was a break but I honestly don't know how to use a volt meter properly. Spliced and soldered in new wires and its working again with no warning lights. I'm thinking a built up of snow and ice may have pushed down on the cable causing it to split and eventually sever completely

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: