07 Grand Prix P/S problems

Old 02-05-14, 11:45 PM
07 Grand Prix P/S problems

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8
This nightmare started when the power steering pump started to whine and my husband noticed a small p/s fluid leak under the car. When he went to check the fluid levels, there was NO cap on the reservoir!
We took the car in to have the fluids flushed and get a cap. The whine got very quiet and the leak went away but only for a few days.
Took the car back to the shop and had the pump and high pressure hose replaced. After that the car had NO power steering! Like ZERO! Nothing!!!
Another new pump went in, with a new rack and pinion (sp?)
Now, only 3 days later, the fluid is low again, whine is back and loud, steering is hard without the accelerator down, it looks like multiple leaks under the car now and to top it all of the info screen says Service Soon!
I'm out of patience and out of $$.
Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-14, 04:11 AM
Group Moderator
I hate to say it, but take it back again. They should not charge you for the "comeback", and if it needs towing, a reputable shop will pay for the tow (I know because I do these occasionally at a dissociated rate for the garage needing it).

Old 02-06-14, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the reply.
We will surely be back in the shop before the end of the week.
But..
What is wrong?
How can 2 pumps and a rack just fail?
Blockage?
Mechanic said they blew out all the lines?
Is there a common place to start looking for a block?
Pressure?
I know too much pressure can cause the lines to leak but with a new pump, pressure hose and rack why wouldn't the pressure be right?
We are Mk1 and Mk2 VW fans and we can usually get the work done ourselves. This is our first domestic and our first dealings with a Mechanic. But after all the work they've done, they seem stumped too. The dealership is obviously the ideal place to go but their quote for a new pump and rack made me run!

Old 02-06-14, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They may have goofed on the installation. It's hard to say where the leak is but most likely it's something they didn't tighten correctly. It's also possible they installed a defective part. Either way, they should fix it for free!

Keep adding PS fluid as needed until you get it back to the shop.

Old 02-06-14, 07:02 AM
Ok,
He says the parts are under full warranty and he will swap them out.
Thanks the_tow_guy! He's also going to send a tow because the fluid level is dropping fast. I don't think I would make it there without having to pit stop to fill it again.
She goes in tomorrow.
I will update with good news hopefully!

Old 02-09-14, 07:22 PM
The leak was never coming from the high pressure hose it was coming from the fluid cooler hose. There is an upper and lower hose.
I spent hours searching the web trying to find a solution to my leaky problem. So many people complaining about a leak they couldn't find the source of. New pumps failing and the system acting as if there is a blockage.
The answer!
The cooler hose!
4 new pumps, a new rack, new pressure hose
And all it needed was a cooler hose!
Problem solved

Old 02-10-14, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it resolved not sure why they couldn't identify a coolant problem to start with any good mechanic should easily be able to tell the difference between coolant and PW fluid.

Old 02-10-14, 06:23 AM
No. It was power steering fluid. Its called a power steering cooler hose. Takes the fluid to the rad. General reason for these to go.... Minor front end collisions. I ditched the car a few weeks back and had to be pulled out of the snow. I hate that this was my fault!
I guess now that my domestic is up and running I can start work on my European again
Any idea on a cold start\hard start mk1 rabbit? New starter, battery, plugs and wires?

Old 02-13-14, 04:56 AM
The steering fluid does not go to the rad. It is a long steel line that snakes across the front of the engine cradle (k member) so it is exposed to the air stream. This is enough to cool the fluid

Search this Thread