Broken Ignition Assembly.......

Old 02-06-14, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken Ignition Assembly.......

:Peeping On U2: I'm 3rd Party to the Problem, Curious if the Fix is going to last...My Son's 1996 Chev Berretta, the Key got jammed in the Column Ignition...Somehow he was still able to start / stop the car...Upon removing the ignition assembly & key it was discovered the Rod which slides into the assembly is somewhat bent therefore preventing proper contact when starting the car...The Modified form in which they put it back together..Without the Key they can still turn the Ignition to Accessory and Shut the Engine Off everything is fine...They installed a Button hidden on the underside of the Steering Column right behind the steering wheel to Start the Engine...It Works as it should..What has me curious is , How long will this Fix last and is this Somewhat of the same idea in the Present Day vehicles that come with the Push Button Option to Start the Engine ??? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-14, 01:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
I don't know about the new technology but it's similar to the old cars that used a keyed switch to turn the ignition on/off and a starter button to engage the starter. It should work fine the way they have it.

Old 02-06-14, 04:08 PM
Received 64 Votes on 55 Posts
it's similar to the old cars that used a keyed switch to turn the ignition on/off and a starter button to engage the starter.
OR.............. a starter pedal on the floor.

Old 02-06-14, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 834 Votes on 781 Posts
It's nothing like the new cars that use pushbutton starting. With those vehicles the car fob must be present within the confines of the car for that start button to work. That system is extremely hard to override or bypass making it very secure as long as the fob is removed from the car when the occupant leaves.

Some clever people leave the fob in a place like an ashtray or console which makes the car a theft problem.

Your start button is always active and has no anti-theft abilities.