2005 malibu pulling both ways

Old 02-12-14, 06:44 PM
2005 malibu pulling both ways

My daughter said her car was pulling to the left so I felt the caliper and it was cold. I took it for a ride and it's pulling to the right and caliper is cold. I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left( u turn) and now it's pulling left. Pulled to the roadside and turned the steering wheel all the way right and now it pulls right. I'm lost!!! Don't know where to start lookin

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-14, 08:32 PM
Hub bearing. Car "snakes" on the road, pulling left or right, in snake like mannet. Do hub bearing test.

Old 02-13-14, 04:51 AM
I would suggest having the entire steering system checked out(tie rod ends, ball joints, bearings etc). Something sounds out of whack. Are the front tire wearing oddly? Maybe something in the alignment. Both tires toed out or possibly in too far

Old 02-13-14, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Hello....

idler arm is the most common issue...

Lift the car with one wheel at a time off the ground and move the wheel left and right to check for play..

or lift both wheels and grab the center link and try to move... You should clearly see if its the idler arm...

Old 02-13-14, 06:37 AM
No movement of wheels up and down or side to side. I'll jack it in the middle and see about the centerlink. Thanks for the replies

Old 02-13-14, 09:11 AM
Everything seems tight but(and there's always a but) I noticed the rod inside the boot for the pass. side tie rod is pushing the boot off to the side when the wheels are straight. The ends of the boot are still connected. Looks normal when wheels are turned side to side. It doesn't snake going down the road it pulls like caliper isn't releasing. If I turn the wheels all the way to the right it pulls to the right going down the road. If I pull over and turn the wheels all the way to the left it'll pull left going down the road. I have a hunch it's bent inside the right side boot. I have no clue whats in the boot but I need to check it out. Thanks again

Last edited by bowneida; 02-13-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-13-14, 02:55 PM
Maybe not your problem since your calipers feel cold but both front brake hoses on my 2005 Malibu plugged at the location of the metal clamp on the hose. So it still braked fine but would not release.
First hose when around 170,000 miles and second one around 200,000 miles.

Old 02-13-14, 03:34 PM
just found out what the boots are connected too. The power steering rack!! Anyone know if this could cause whats going on. The tie rod end inside the boot isn't lined up with the cylinder.

Old 02-13-14, 03:52 PM
Ask her what she hit, sounds like its bent. Or broke a mount.

Old 02-13-14, 06:25 PM
So you do not have idler or Pitman, so don't worry about it.
Rod that comes out of steering gear is called tie rod. Then, it's connected to short length of another rod with 90 degree shaped ball joint. That's your tie rod end.
Should you have vehicle raised on jacks, with wheels dropped down, tie rod will not lign up with steering gear, as it follows pul from the wheel. A ball type joint is hidden inside that boot, on outer steering gear end. So, rods hanging down are pretty normal.
How it power steering fluid?
Btw, should you have had anything bent in steering gear and linkages, you WILL have play in the wheel with hands on 3 and 9.
Btw, you supposed to have both wheels up in the air when testing for play. Ever watched how alignment people do this? Wheels are sitting on steel plates that permit rotation in wheels.

http://www.stockwiseauto.com/images/...D/25902150.jpg

Old 02-13-14, 09:16 PM
Does it have "variable rate" power steering?