bad engine mounts=shaking when braking???

Old 02-16-14, 02:49 PM
Question bad engine mounts=shaking when braking???

I have an 02 Bonneville I've changed tires, rotors, brakes, bearings had front end lined wheels balanced and I continue to get a vibration/shaking when braking not so much at normal speeds but very bad at highway speeds...could bad engine mounts cause this??..or can someone tell me what might be causing this...I have no clue

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-14, 02:57 PM
Is it shaking in steering wheel or in the body? Did you you change REAR rotors or, at least, turn them?

Old 02-16-14, 03:00 PM
I do not believe engine mounts will do this, btw. I'd rather - IF it is the front end cause - think it's control arms bushings, allowing CAs to move back/for when you apply brakes.

Old 02-16-14, 05:27 PM
I have also seen some cheap imported rotors also cause vibration when stopping. My guess is they weren't machined properly in China.

Old 02-16-14, 05:36 PM
I have an 02 Bonneville I've changed tires, rotors, brakes, bearings had front end lined wheels balanced and I continue to get a vibration/shaking when braking not so much at normal speeds but very bad at highway speeds...could bad engine mounts cause this??..or can someone tell me what might be causing this...I have no clue

Did you change all these components trying to get the vibration out of the car??
It might be time to take it to a mechanic and get the problem solved ......

Old 02-22-14, 12:42 AM
thanks for all the suggestions....changed both control arms (bushings were bad) problem solved mechanic wanted $400 brought parts online for $105.. 30 minutes to change each side ..now do you recommend an aligment??

Old 02-22-14, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Absolutely.

Old 02-22-14, 06:49 AM
Control arms, huh?? You welcome.

Old 02-22-14, 07:58 AM
now do you recommend an aligment??
If that's a front wheel drive car and I think it is, you'll need a 4 wheel alignment and not just a front end alignment.

Old 02-24-14, 08:01 AM
yes thanks ukrbyk and will get an 4 wheel alingment...car running great

Old 02-24-14, 07:41 PM
I had the same problem once with my front wheel drive subaru. Turns out the front wheel rotors had been turned too many times and were too skinny. That thing wobbled like you wouldn't believe when I tried to brake. Problem went completely away when I had new front wheel rotors put in.

I'm not implying you did not find the problem for your car, just relaying what solved my issue when I had a similar problem on my car.