Toyota matrix 2003 ?

Old 02-24-14, 08:45 AM
Toyota matrix 2003 ?

We left the dome light on while on a week long trip, so battery was dead upon return. That was 3 weeks ago.

Airport offers FREE jump start, and it started right up. I left it on again two days ago, but just overnight. I put charger on, and in approx. 30-minutes it started.

Last night after sitting for 2 hours it was dead, but nothing was left on that I can determine.

My question is: Does the dash have a warning light that would indicate CHARGING ISSUE, or does it just use a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT to cover many possible issues?

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 08:57 AM
A voltmeter on the battery terminals when sitting, running and cranking will tell you a lot about the charging system's condition.

You left out the most important piece of information .. how old is the battery??

Old 02-24-14, 09:34 AM
Toyata Matrix

Ok,,,,, I have one of the PEERLESS BT-4 TESTERS with LOAD switch. I hooked to battery posts, and NOT RUNNING it showed approx. 10 volts, and when holding the LOAD switch it dropped to approx. 8.5 volts. That is after being on a 10 amp charger overnight. When running the tester showed approx. 13.6volts.

I can't tell you battery age, WalMart didn't mark the top, but think 3-5 years old. It has a limited warranty of 108 months, or 36 months free. It is a 800 cranking rated battery.

So if I am go believe my tester, it's the BATTERY.

Do you agree?

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Old 02-24-14, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Yep...it's the battery. Yer charging system is fine as indicated by the running voltage.

Old 02-24-14, 08:52 PM
Clean battery/cable terminals. Battery or not.
When you run engine, you basically showing charging current. I'd rather see it a bit higher, but it's OK for the purpose.
You might have had quite Ok battery, but you ran it down. Do this few times in a row and decent battery will turn crap. Sulfation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Supe1a3LW2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5POnMo3_EE

Old 02-24-14, 09:46 PM
I charged it for a few hours, I cleaned the posts/cables too, and letting it sit overnight and will see what happens in the morning.

I will advise,

Dale in Indy

Old 02-25-14, 02:01 PM
Smith, I bought a trickle charger with de-sulfation mode. Your know how long it charges a mid size battery? About 18-25 hrs. As it will not charge it unless it runs de-sulfation, which takes about 9-12 hrs.
Sorry, late to say... You also lubricated terminals with dielectric grease and sealed with battery sealant?