1999 Windstar - Valve seals leaking

Old 02-25-14, 12:49 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1999 Windstar - Valve seals leaking

1999 Ford Windstar. 185K miles. 3.8L engine. Valve seals are leaking oil into cylinder. Is there a way I can replace the seals without pulling the head? I thought someone mentioned a way to do this but wanted to check to see if anyone has actually done it. Thanks so much for your time!

Old 02-25-14, 12:58 PM
Received 63 Upvotes on 54 Posts
Yes but it's very tricky. You will have to pull plug out; get adapter allowing to connect compressor hose to where the spark plug was and run pressure inside the combustion chamber; remove rockers; remove valve stem cap with proper tool, remove spring, pull valve stem seal out. Compressed air prevents valve from falling into the CC.
I have heard of some packing CC inside with long fabric strip for same purpose, leaving a lanyard out, so that it can be pulled out later.
You can try strong rubber balloon fed in and blown with air. Whatever works to hold valve up in the head.
You want to take chances with all 16 valves?

Old 02-25-14, 01:09 PM
K
well.. i dont really want to pull the head. If I pull the head, I would have to have it re-machined correct? I have torn this thing apart and replaced upper and lower intake gaskets but just never replaced head gaskets, etc on it. Not quite sure what all i would be getting into.

Old 02-25-14, 01:51 PM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Is the engine burning oil excessively? Are you sure the seals are bad?

Old 02-25-14, 03:34 PM
K
Yes it is burning oil. Had it checked by mechanic today and he said its valve seals leaking. Plug in cylinder 2 keeps on getting oil fouled causing misfire. He didn't take anything apart in the engine though so not quite sure how he knows it's the seals leaking?

Old 02-25-14, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Upvotes on 211 Posts
IMHO, unless you'll be getting rid of it in the foreseeable future, pull the heads. You could spend a fair amount of time and/or $$$ on doing the valve seals and a week later blow a head gasket (which 3.8L Ford engines have been known to do).

Bad valve seals will often give you a pretty good puff of smoke from the exhaust on cold start-up.

And FWIW, you can buy new or re-manned heads at very reasonable prices nowadays.

Old 02-26-14, 07:22 AM
K
It's not smoking excessively. Exhaust smoke is white, not blue. What other ways can oil foul a plug?

Old 02-26-14, 03:13 PM
N
worn piston rings can cause an Ol fouled plug,
also,
the Oil drain back holes - that allow the oil from the rocker arms to drain back to the pan - can become clogged/ sludge build up, that causes excess oil puddling around the valve guides, that in turn causes oil to be sucked past the valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: