Ebrake light on with loud noise

Old 02-25-14, 06:10 PM
Ebrake light on with loud noise

I have a 91 Honda Accord Auto. 4 dr; and all of a sudden the ebrake light came on when I turn the engine on and won't turn off while the engine is running. Also, when I put it in neutral it makes a loud screeching noise, and then the screeching noise comes on when it's in park. I have checked the the brake fluid level and it appears full. Can someone please offer any suggestions; or, has this happened to anyone and how did you fix it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums. You don't say what part of the world you live in, but let's assume it is cold. Your emergency brake cable could be frozen in the "brake on" position. I don't think the noise has anything to do with the brake, but could come from old, stiff, loose belts.

Old 02-25-14, 07:34 PM
It is cold; but, not today. Was in the mid60's. I'm in Atlanta! This problem just happened today; and the noise definitely has something to do with problem, since both occurred at the same time for the 1st time today.

Old 02-26-14, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure the noise and the light are related? Do you have good brakes? can you jack it up and check each wheel?

Old 02-26-14, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Like mark and goldstar, I'm having a tough time connecting the two. Just to clarify, if you are in a drive gear it drives okay with no noise? When it's screeching in Park/Neutral you should be able to raise the hood and get a pretty good idea the general area the sound is coming from.

Old 02-26-14, 06:09 AM
the noise and the light are definitely related somehow. they both occurred at exactly the same time. I'm starting to think the brake light might be a warning for something else. it does not make the noise when in gear; just in neutral and then after it's running when I put it in park.

Old 02-26-14, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On some vehicles power brakes and power steering work off the same booster. Have you checked the PS fluid? Oh, it's a nice day for now, but we're going down to 18 tonight here in the mountains.

Old 02-26-14, 06:14 PM
we're going down to 18 tonight here in the mountains.

Ohh, long sleeve shirt and jacket weather, huh.

Old 02-26-14, 06:24 PM
I usually go to long sleeves at 32. 18 is a little much for my old body. I'll have to work in it until it warms up, but we don't get sunshine until around 10 am. Mountains keep us shaded.

Old 02-26-14, 07:24 PM
What are you guys talking about cold weather, and sleeves? I'm talking about my brake light on my Honda...

Old 02-26-14, 07:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have been given several suggestions. Have you checked any of them out? Also, the Honda has sensors that will light the panel warning if a filament is out. May also indicate corrosion and/or a bad sensor.

Old 02-27-14, 03:17 AM
Chip. Sorry for the off topic comments. We are waiting on your response to questions we asked earlier.

Old 02-27-14, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
I know we're a DIY site, but may be time to get a mechanic to give it a listen. A good independent who knows Honda would be my choice. When you stick your head under the hood can you pinpoint the location the noise comes from?