Rattling sound after turn 2003 Mountaineer 2wd

Old 02-28-14, 08:42 PM
Rattling sound after turn 2003 Mountaineer 2wd

After a hard right turn, I'll hear a very loud rattling sound in the front passenger side. Just started. The first time, I thought I must be dragging something as there's a lot of construction near me, and it was really dark. Came to a complete stop and no noise when I started moving again. No more noise in the half mile home. Happened again the next day after a hard right turn. Complete stop and it goes away. Noticed it on two right turns an 1 left on that trip. Inspected around wheel well as best I could without taking anything apart. Just haven't had the time. No driving since.

Talked to a couple friends and did some Googling. Have been told hub, sway arm, cv joint, and brake caliper are possible culprits. Hub they said rais the car and see if the wheel wiggles, CV and sway they said I'd see something obviously broken. Loose caliper I'm not sure how to check unless it's as simple as the whole thing wiggling.

So the questions: How do I check for a loose caliper? How easy is it to fix if it is loose? How safe is it to drive until I get it fixed if that is the problem? (Other 3 I've been told are fix it before you go anywhere). If I take it someplace, what sort of money am I looking at for the fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-14, 04:54 AM
Is the sound a clicking noise that happens while turning, then stops when your driving straight?

Old 03-01-14, 06:44 AM
I think I had to come to a stop to make the noise stop. It's hard to remember because my first inclination was to stop quickly.

Old 03-01-14, 07:12 AM
Do you not have a friend, neighbor or co-worker etc that could check this out for you? It sounds like you are in the dark here about the fault.

Find out what's wrong then decide if you want to try to fix it or have it done.

Good luck.

Old 03-01-14, 07:36 AM
1. bent dust shield.
2. something gotten between dust shield and rotor.
Anything really loose there will cause more trouble than that.
You MUST take wheel off and take rotor off.
3. loose or damaged tirewell cover. They are plastic, it rattles easily. Could have simply come off a clip or 2.

Old 03-03-14, 08:23 AM
Wiggled the wheel to test for hub problems, nothing.
Took the wheel off. Nothing obviously hanging or broken that I could see. Took pictures and sent them to a buddy who has worked on the car before. He's going to take a look at it today at lunch.

Noticed the rattle only really seems to happen after a turn that goes past 90 degrees as I go downhill.

Old 03-03-14, 05:38 PM
Thanks to an idiot who can't drive, I got my sound again when I hit the brakes too hard. Went away when I applied the brakes completely and came to a stop. Didn't happen when I went around the turn where it always happens, but I didn't brake as long there as I often do because there was no one at the intersection. Made it happen again when I was almost home just by hitting the brakes a little hard.

Old 03-12-14, 11:59 AM
Buddy and I are going to work on it this weekend. Any other thoughts on cause of the sound now that it seems to be caused by hard braking?

Old 03-12-14, 05:57 PM
What kind of steering arrangement do you have? If you have old school parallelogram steering linkage, you have loose:
1. Pitman
2. Idler
3. Connecting rod.

But so far, it points towards hub bearing going bad. It sounds like infamous "death wobble" starts developing. That's when you said you hit the bump and the noise returned.
Or, basic thing - loose lugs.

Old 03-13-14, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Add upper strut mount to list.

Old 03-13-14, 09:03 AM
Checked lugs, not that. Also hitting bump doesn't cause the sound, hitting the brakes hard causes it.

Old 03-13-14, 07:53 PM
Engine/transmission mount. Hit brakes hard, power train moves.

Control arm bushing. They move back and for some when you hit the brakes.