"Woo woo woo" from wheel

Old 03-07-14, 05:19 PM
"Woo woo woo" from wheel

1995 Integra, 212k miles

This car has started with a "howl" or squeal from the left front wheel. At slow speeds is sounds like "woo woo woo". It is not consistent: sometimes the noise doesn't start for a few minutes. At very slow speed the howl is not present: it only starts at about 5 - 8 mph.

I've inspected the CV boot, and it appears to be sound and intact.

I've raised the front wheels, and tried to rock the wheel to test the bearing- there was no play or slop. I also heard about a bearing test where you spin the raised wheel while feeling for bearing grind in the coil spring: tried that, and felt no grind. Also, braking or sharp turns (loading / unloading the tire) does not change the noise.

So I'm thinking it's not a bearing... does that automatically point to a CV problem? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any knowledge you can pass along.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-14, 05:47 PM
Move tires front to back and see if the sound moves with the tires .

Are the wheels straight ( not bent ) . Tires inflated to spec ? All roads produce this noise or just some ?

If it is a CV joint , the SOP is to change out the whole half shaft for a new or rebuilt one .

I would check to see if the breaks are OK ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 03-08-14, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Tough judging sounds here, of course, but bad wheel bearing sounds are often described along the lines of your description.

Old 03-08-14, 04:42 PM
I rotated tires, and the noise is still in the left front. Tire pressure is at spec; brakes are good; the noise appears on all types of roads.

Can I post a sound clip? :-)

Old 03-09-14, 01:45 AM
Well , you have narrowed it down some . At this point , were it mine , I would think wheel bearing or CV joints ?

Think you said the CV boots were OK ?

I do not know if the site will " let " you post a sound clip ? As for myself , I am not sure a sound clip would help me any ? Might help some of the more knowledgeable folks ?

Do you have the tooling and know how to replace the wheel bearing or half shaft ?

On the front wheel drive GM cars we have owned , the wheel bearing is part of the front " hub " & they replace as a unit . And , usually people replace the half shaft rather than just repair / replace the CV joint .

God bless
Wyr

Old 03-09-14, 07:08 AM
Is there not a trusted family member, friend or neighbor that will go for a ride with you or help diagnose your fault?

I would think a local mechanic would be able to tell you the problem very quickly and give you an estimate on repair.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-14, 01:18 PM
It's bearing, awright.....

Old 10-16-14, 05:13 PM
Did you ever find out what caused the noise? Was it the bearing or the half shaft?

Old 10-17-14, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Jason, welcome to the forums! CycleZen hasn't posted since September, so he may be on vacation. If you want to find out specifics, try sending him a PM.

Old 10-22-14, 04:44 AM
Sorry for radio silence- it did turn out to be the bearing. Local guy fixed it with no worries.