2005 Camry - hear a sound while driving - nervous

Old 03-12-14, 12:12 PM
2005 Camry -

I own a 2005 Camry SE V6. When I am driving I hear a sound about every 30 seconds from the right passenger side. Tried to figure out front or back today, but the winds are so high it is hard to hear and hard to tell. It is the right side. When driving in a circle to the right the sound does not happen. It happens driving straight and it is becoming more frequent. It started two days ago just every few minutes. Now it happens about every 100 yards.

The sound seems like a click or a mechanical sound. Not a squeal, or hum, but like something dislodged. A short sound and then gone. Then it happens again. I don't have a check engine light coming on, and the car is driving okay as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?

Last edited by skarney; 03-12-14 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-14, 05:53 PM
Nope. Short of rock stuck between treads or a foreign object. Jack her up and inspect.

Old 03-14-14, 09:34 AM
Checked for a rock in treads - nothing. The noise does not occur that frequently as a tire rotation. It is changing now. When I start up the car inside it sounds like a knocking engine noise very quick. Had another person in the engine and they cannot hear it. They started the car and could hear it in the car. When I accelerate from a stop I am hearing the clicking sound. (the sound - whenever you run over one of the reflectors in the highway and hear that sound) that is the sound I hear while driving it and going straight. It does not happen when turning either way. No engine light is on. Also, when I am over 40 mph I don't hear it. Either because of the road noise or it has stop happening.

Looked underneath the car and everything looks fine. I thought of having my tires rotated and see if they notice anything when they take them off? Any other ideas or ways to test different scenerios myself? Thank you

Old 03-14-14, 07:05 PM
sorry this seems more like an "in person" noise to be herd. is this a 4 cylinder? they are known for the belt tensioner going bad. they are a hydrolic type and when they get old they move more rapidly causing a click/tick/rattle noise. while its running watch the belt area and see if the tensioner pulley moves with the noise.

Old 03-15-14, 07:23 AM
It is a Camry 2005 Sports Edition - has a V6 in it. I will check the belt tensioner - thanks.

Old 03-15-14, 08:13 AM
A few months ago had a new timing belt and water pump replaced.

Old 03-15-14, 09:31 AM
Well...... I simply can not understand, what that noise is. Sounds like very faint one to me, and maybe subjective perception.
What I can fathom from your description starts sounding like rockers noise. Or, since you had water pump and belt done, like iceman said - it's belt tensioner. And you can not "check on it" as it's inside the timing belt compartment.

Old 03-15-14, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I will have to take it to the dealership and have them check it out. Will post back what they find for others to know from this thread.

Old 03-15-14, 10:02 AM
we don't hear the noise when it is idling. Only hear while in motion. going to go outside and bounce the car up and down to see if it happens without being turned on -

Old 03-15-14, 05:51 PM
No noise with car not moving and idling= noise is coming from suspension or wheels/hubs when car moves.
Bounce won't do much. Go into a large parking lot, either keep windows open, or have some one drive car in very tight circle and listen to the noise.
Clicking noise in tight turns is usually CV joint bearings going bad. Is any of the CV joint boots torn?

Old 03-30-14, 01:41 PM
I found the problem and fixed it

Thank you all for your suggestions. From your suggestions it seemed like a suspension problem. Then I watched videos on how to find suspension problems. My car was making the noise more often. So today i did the suggestions from the video I watched. The photo is of my car engine looking under the hood and see the bolt sticking out. That was the problem.

Problem: A bolt was backing out from the top engine mount. Today looking at the engine it was easy to see. When it first started happening it was not. I took a photo of it. Then tightened the bolt and noise is gone.
Name:  bolt backing out of top engine mount.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  36.5 KB

Old 03-30-14, 01:44 PM
I did not have to take to dealer. It was just a bolt that needed to be tighten. No money spent at all. Thank goodness.

Old 03-30-14, 01:48 PM
Smile

Happy Dance! I start a new job tomorrow and don't have to worry about my car. That is peace of mind.

Old 03-30-14, 04:13 PM
And I am glad I "made you nervous" and you really stepped up with looking at ALL things possible.

Not a squeal, or hum, but like something dislodged. That was a very good description then. Dislodged it was.

A few months ago had a new timing belt and water pump replaced.

Say thank you to those who did the job. That enginme mount needs to be removed to get to the parts replaced. They simply didn't tighten bolt well enough.

I even stepped out and checked on mine, ha-ha. Looks good to me - and I had pump done 2 yrs ago.