2006 Nissan Altima gas smell

Old 03-12-14, 07:06 PM
2006 Nissan Altima gas smell

My 3.5 Altima has a very strong gas smell inside the car. Mostly when it's really cold weather, and when the heater is on. Looking around other sites, it seems a worn out seal on the OEM gas cap could be the culprit. I bought a new gas cap and it still smells, possibly a small leak from somewhere in the engine compartment? There are no visible leaks onto the ground from anywhere under the car. Any suggestions on what it could be or where to start looking? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-14, 07:35 PM
find the fuel filter on the drivers side near the fire wall. while car is running wiggle the fuel lines you will find your leak. tighten clamps.

Old 03-13-14, 06:40 AM
Looking into it a little more, it seems that the fuel filter is located within the fuel pump assembly located under the rear seat. I popped the hood and looked around, and noticed a hose that was really shiny and could possibly be the issue. Any suggestions on what the hose could be and where to go from from here?

Attached Images   
Old 03-13-14, 08:37 PM
thats an a/c line, look for lines with phillips head clamps. the hose will be smaller then the a/c one you took a pic of. and should be on the drivers side.

Old 04-09-14, 05:25 PM
I dont think that model has an inline fuel filter. THe fuel filter should be located in the fuel tank. Try to take the top engine cover off and try and inspect the fuel rails/injectors and the lines that connect to that. The cover should be held on with 4 hex screws.

Old 04-09-14, 07:55 PM
It's either backleaking EGR valve, or EVAP system. Where is charcoal canister for EVAP? If it overflows, it smells gas all over.