Chevy Tracker Power Steering

Old 03-15-14, 07:32 AM
Chevy Tracker Power Steering

Need to replace the power steering pump on my 2000 Tracker. No big deal, but a question: the pump has an electrical connector on it. What would that be for? Why does a belt-driven pump need such a connection? There are no warning or status lights on the dash for power steering, and the Haynes manual I have doesn't mention what it's for.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what the electrical connection is for but your Haynes Manual should have electrical diagrams in the back of the book - maybe tracing the wiring would give the answer.

Old 03-15-14, 06:07 PM
Disconnect the connector from the power steering pressure switch.

| Repair Guides | Power Steering Pump | Removal & Installation | AutoZone.com

Old 03-15-14, 07:58 PM
Great, thanks. But still don't understand what the connection is for. What is the purpose of the pressure switch, and what does it operate?

Old 03-15-14, 08:14 PM
Do you have to give? Likely some sort of fail proof switch that monitors safety of PS pump. It's Suzuki, you know, who knows what Japanese engineers made it for.

Old 03-15-14, 08:17 PM
Did I make your life better now?

Purpose

The power steering pressure switch feeds information about demand on the power steering system to the vehicle's computer. At low speed, such as during parking lot maneuvers, the engine produces little power. Instead of waiting for the engine speed to decrease from the increased demand on power steering, the vehicle computer can compensate immediately for the increased load demand to keep the engine running smoothly.

Read more: What Does the Power Steering Pressure Switch Do? | eHow

Old 03-16-14, 12:27 PM
Did I make your life better now?
If my curiosity bothers you so much, why bother to respond? The need to know is a holdover from my career in the nuclear power industry. If I am involved with operating or fixing something, I have to understand, down to the smallest detail, exactly how it works. While the link you provided is helpful, I have yet to find an explanation of exactly what happens inside the pump when the pressure switch operates. I have an idea, but in the nuclear world guesses were not acceptable.

Old 03-16-14, 01:36 PM
Why are you making a big deal out of this .. just change the pump.

What is the matter with the pump anyway?

If you need every little detail answered you had better do your own research. This isn't nuclear science.

Old 03-16-14, 03:38 PM
If you need every little detail answered you had better do your own research. This isn't nuclear science.
Perhaps not. But there are several other pieces to the steering system that could be at fault. The fix could ultimately cost more than the vehicle is worth if, for example, the real problem is the steering rack. I'm grateful for the bit of help I've received here, even though accompanied by a dollop of nastiness.

Old 03-20-14, 12:45 PM
OP just had a simple question....