What is this thing (97 Chevy Blazer)

Old 03-16-14, 05:21 PM
What is this thing (97 Chevy Blazer)

Hello:
can someone explain what this thing it (please forgive my ignorance). I disconnected these two clipped on wires, didn't know why their would be to wires connected to my battery terminals, apart from where the leads connect to the post. Does anyone have an idea were these connected wires are powering up?
Thank you

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-14, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One could go to your alternator (where your battery recharges), one could go to "always" hot items, such as door lighting, radio clock. Why do you think they need to be disconnected? Hook them back up and install the battery.

Old 03-16-14, 05:45 PM
The black wire is a ground connection direct to body via fender or header bar. Disconnect it and you have no electrical.
The red wire could be for about any kind of added component such as stereo, alarm, extra lights. Trace it to see where it goes and what was its purpose.

RR

Old 03-16-14, 06:25 PM
Looks like he had standard side mount terminals battery. I do not see anything unusual in red and black cables. Unless he's talking about something else we missing... Like that grey plug?

Old 03-16-14, 07:28 PM
Crazy thing is I have driven the SUV for about a year with that connection not hooked up, I know its silly but I didn't want it to drain my battery. Now I have a parasitic drain and charged the batter back to were it's supposed to be. I just have to use my tester and find out where the drain is. I thought someone might know the technical name for that connection running between the positive and negative terminals.
Thanks

Old 03-17-14, 06:34 PM
neal, you seriously need to POINT what is that you asking about. There are 2 cable terminals and grey loose plug that obviously connects to one on the expansion canister side one. What is that YOU are questioning?

Old 03-18-14, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Igor. It is not operationally needed, but you are not getting the warning of "low coolant" on your display.

Old 03-18-14, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
That wire that plugs togther goes to 3 fusible links.. The batter terminal block and to the ignition. And to the battery generator..

Thats what my 1996 electrical schematic shows for the s10 4.3 liter motor...

I assume if you have a major electrical issue and thats not connected you can/will have a fire...