03 Mitsubishi Lancer ES drawing power when car is NOT running

Old 03-19-14, 04:55 AM
03 Mitsubishi Lancer ES drawing power when car is NOT running

Hello, I have a 2003 lancer es I have had many issues with this car in the 7 years the lastest one is the car is draining my battery when the car is not running. In the past 2 weeks I have replaced the alternator and battery cause the alternater seized .
my car was driving on the battery, I had to go for an Etest that week but my car failed " there wasn't enough kms on the new battery for the computer to read right so i had to go back a few days later, it failed again this time it brought up a code 0421 which means my cat closest to the engine is bad, to replace this it would cost 1300.00 or so so i was given a conditional pass for my etest. the garage also fixed a light bulb in my dash for my engine light it was burnt out, the next day i took it back to have the exhaust pipe replaced, I took it home parked it 10 hrs or later went to start it to go to work and it wouldn't start so i had to boost it, it ran fine got to work turned the car off took the keys out of the ignition and realized the heater fan was still blowing so i turned off the switch, after work i tried to start my car and the battery was dead so i had to boost the car again , there is 193000 on this car i bought 7 years ago with 80000 kms on it and have put 15000,00 in repairs to this car , I know I bought a lemon but i really like this car does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this issue Thank you for your time
Chris03

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-14, 06:05 AM
p0420 does not necessarily mean cat bad.....most of the time yes but tests would have to be done.your heater should not work with ignition switch off......anything else on when ignition switch in off position?possible bad ignition switch.

Old 03-19-14, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

On many vehicles today there is a variable speed electronic blower control module that is powered all the time. This module gets a signal from the climate control system from the dash when to run and at what speed. The climate control system is key operated but the control module can go defective and keep the fan running at all times.

You're going to need a DC ampmeter or a 12v test light to find the problem.

Old 03-19-14, 01:20 PM
Hi autojoe no nothing else is running just the blower for the fan

Old 04-23-14, 06:10 AM
OK so I'm on my 2nd new battery in 6 weeks and I still have this problem all the fuses have been tested by a mechanic and nothing seems to be wrong . Oh and I figured out the fan runs only when the battery gets low . Fully charged and the fan shuts off like it should ??????.
Anyone have any ideas thanks again